Meet Mr. and Mrs. Marbling; marbled pens...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Some forumites may recall my earlier post (4/30/16) about flame worked borosilicate glass marbles - evoked some fond childhood memories for those who responded:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f45/flame-worked-marbles-commissioned-140456/

I figured it was high time to marble some pens - so meet Mr. and Mrs. Marbling:
attachment.php

Intimate close-up:
attachment.php

The couple is busy spawning a spate of (expectedly variegated) offspring (do not disturb).

I'll be refining the working methods tomorrow in a workshop with Master Marbler Pietro Accardi, of Turin, Italy (more fun ahead).

I'm glad to share the techniques if there's interest.

Happy Saturday to all makers! - Bob

Attachments

• MrandMrsMarbling,Markison,July8,2017,800px.jpg
    MrandMrsMarbling,Markison,July8,2017,800px.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 501
  • MrandMrsMarbling,Markison,July8,2017,CU,800px.jpg
    MrandMrsMarbling,Markison,July8,2017,CU,800px.jpg
    275.6 KB · Views: 503
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Yes, certainly would be interested in hearing about your techniques, Bob.

The above pens are uniquely beautiful !!!!!

mecompco

Very nice! Having recently taken up making marbled paper I know it is quite an art form. I'm trying to make recognizable shapes that way, but it is tough to control the paint. I was hoping to make some sugar skulls, but controlling the spread of the paint is difficult. I did manage to get some nice "flowers". Have sold one on Etsy thus far--got a bunch more paper I need to get on tubes. Here's the one that sold:

PS: This is acrylic paint floated on treated water applied to special paper treated with alum. Time consuming, but almost miraculous when the paper is laid down on the water and pulled off with the paint intact. Fun to do, but hard to control the results.

Last edited:

SteveAxelrod

Of all the multi-colored blanks that you've shared with us I'd have to say this is my favorite technique. The colors are so vibrant and distinctly separate. I look forward to your tutorial!

Top Bottom