Mechanically inclined 10 year old nephew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Phillip Kelley

My 10 year old nephew & I spent about 4 hours in the shop Thursday. We watched a DVD about pen making, cut-up some sandpaper, prepared some blanks and turned his 1st pen! I don't know who was more proud...me or him! I didn't realize I had that much patience stored up! lol

Attachments

• EVK1.JPG
    EVK1.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 252
  • DSC01290.JPG
    DSC01290.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 233
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Wow, Thats they way to go,
Get 'em young, n teach 'em right.
It's lovely to see your nephew, at the lathe.
And the outcome, is Superb, Great Fit and Finish.
Both you and he should be very proud.
Congratulations, and keep him at it, while ever he has the interest.
Brian.

SDB777

Big thumbs up for you and him!!!

The pen looks a lot better then anything I could have ever called a first. That a Euro kit with the tenon?

Scott (patience...I got little to none, good for you) B

Satin Designer

No, it is a Satin Designer Twist- No Tenon Kit from PSI....I'm thinking he probably cold have done the tenon though. I showed him a digital set of calipers and went over the comparrison between decimal equivalents &
fractions. He seemed interested! lol I only helped him a tiny bit in showling him how to use a skew and get the final cut to size the blanks the same DIA as the bushing! His turning was smooth enough that he sanded with 320, 400 & 800! We used Hutt's Crystal Coat as the finish...I'm thinking his momma don't want him to come home with a pen blank stuck on his hand....

Big thumbs up for you and him!!!

The pen looks a lot better then anything I could have ever called a first. That a Euro kit with the tenon?

Scott (patience...I got little to none, good for you) B

Thanks!

Thanks for the compliments! The little guy did an unbelieveably smooth job! I'm thinking..I really wish I had someone to "show me" before i tried my 1st pen! I have been thinking about starting a wodturning club here in southeast Arkansas...it is a long way to LR or Texarkana...

BSea

Hey Phillip, good job being a teacher. You should bring him to our next meeting.

And I'd be up for a trip to SE Arkansas. So if you get a club started down there, be sure & invite us.

OZturner

Thanks for the compliments! The little guy did an unbelieveably smooth job! I'm thinking..I really wish I had someone to "show me" before i tried my 1st pen! I have been thinking about starting a wodturning club here in southeast Arkansas...it is a long way to LR or Texarkana...

Phillip, a Woodturning Club would be a great idea, if you could get it off the ground.
You obviously have the Talent and Patience to Instruct, Share and Impart your Knowledge and Skill.
Why not make it your New Years Resolution?
All the Best.
Brian.

Top Bottom