Me an' Curly got Stoned last night and.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from redfishsc

redfishsc

Here's this weekend's work! I haven't posted much around here, so here's some of my work and more of my pathetic camera skills.

Curly maple Barons, Black ti, all fountain pens. Made by request from a pew that was removed from a seminary chapel to make room for some new video cameras.

Finished in satin conversion varnish.

DSCN2632.jpg

Tru-stone blue web, chrome Baron FP.
DSCN2638.jpg

Tru-stone red w/gold web. Couldn't really get the detail in the pic of the red webbing, it's pretty dense.
DSCN2639.jpg

Tru-stone banded ivory. Lots of very subtle figure in this material that I can't catch in a pic. Very nice stuff to turn, one of my favorites. Turns (and looks) like butter.
DSCN2652.jpg

And finally my favorite of the group. Tru-stone white with gold web, in a gold ti Sedona FP. Stunning material, I wish I hadn't sat on this blank for nearly a year before using it.
DSCN2654.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Thanks guys!!

When it comes to fountain pens, my personal preference (and policy) is closed-end ONLY unless the customer requests a mounting stud. Obviously this doesn't apply to fountain pens with really ornate/decorative end studs like Emperors.

Closed-end pens take a little bit more time, but not that much, and IMO make a much nicer writing pen (lighter and a better feel in the hand).

The other cool thing is that you can really alter the overall look of the pen by using a longer blank, making a slightly longer pen, and by making different shapes on the very end--- round, flat, etc...

YoYoSpin has some of the nicest looking closed-end pens around, I love the shapes he carves/sands on the end of some of his.

redfishsc

Beautiful pens!

Can I say "very nice pew pens?"

Sure :wink:. The running joke between me and the fellow who ordered them is that these are "butt pens", since they are probably the only pens I've ever made that somebody at some point in time has farted on :)eek:).

bitshird

Nice work Matt. good to see you haven't been sitting down on the job :biggrin:, I like your closed end pens they look great, my only problem with them is they are hard to display in my stand. Guess I'll have to make a stand just for them!! I talked with several fountain pen users this past Saturday and none of them post the cap any way when they write, so I guess I'll make some more closed end mandrels and get busy, your Tru-Stone pens are gorgeous!

redfishsc

You guys are making me blush! Thanks!

Very nice work! I like the closed ends on all of those. One of these days I'll get around to trying the closed ends.

Once you make and use a nice closed end fountain pen, you'll never go back to the threaded end caps again ;).

I have 3 fountain pens I use on a regular basis. The one with the threaded endcap gets used the least because I hate the way it feels.

The other two are closed ends, and I love them. One in particular is a Churchill made from dogwood (from the same seminary campus as the curly maple above) that I use for grading New Testament and Greek exams (teacher's assistant). I love that pen!!!! The best fp I've ever used.

Top Bottom