A,mboyna Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pmichris

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmichris

Picked up this piece of Burl at the Rockler store recently and could not wait to turn it. Had to find the right kit and finally settled on a Sterling Silver Baron. Let me know what you think:D. Took three tries to get the finish where I wanted it:( but on the last try it worked out great IMHO. BTW thanks to everyone here for the ideas that you share and that I steal as often as possible.

Chris

200611521935_Baron1.jpg

200611521955_Baron2.jpg

20061152208_baron3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan

I have a passion for the gold Chris, so I won't comment on the kit, but that's one nice pen! So what was your choice of finish and what happened to make you go through it three times?

Dan
Unionville, VA

wayneis

Chris you did a very good job, I love the wood especially when it has a mixture of sapwood with the heart wood. I did an amboyna wood very similar and I used the Jr. Statesman which is similar to the Baron.

Wayne

dpstudios

Very nice Chris. Even though I've only turned one Amboyna burl pen, it has to be my favorite blank because of the look & the way it takes a finish.
Dan

chigdon

I love it. It is one of my favorite woods to turn because of the look of the wood and the smell is so nice. I love the sapwood combination and I am a fan of the silver pens so I think it is perfect.

pmichris

Thanks for all of the great comments, I really appreciate them. The finish is CA and it just gave me fits in various ways the first two go rounds. Stopped at the local Rockler again today and found the sister piece to this one (it has very little sapwood) there is a mark at one end of the blank that matches up with the cut off piece that I still have. It was unmarked and when I told the clerk that it was Amboyna he went and checked and came back and told we that it wasn't Amboyna but charged me the $2.99 price for Amboyna anyway. I can't say that I will trust his wood ID skills in the future, maybe I can tell him that a piece of Cocobolo I want is just walnut or maybe even pine[}:)] I could save some money that way. But truly I would not want to cheat them that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom