Maybe "Larry" left some of this behind

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Since it appears that all of our friends down under survived the hurricane, I though a little tribute to Oz was due. This is Moreton Bay Fig.

2006322204614_MoretonBayFig.jpg

Thanks to all who stop to look and a special thank you to those who choose to comment. [8D]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OK, Lou, you got me! Where does one find Moreton Bay Fig?

Is it as reddish as it appears? The gold also appears red, like you may have had different lighting. Tell me a little more, please-oily?

Oh, and "Really neat pen", but then, that is what you always make!!

Deere41h

Very unusual and very beautiful. Nice pen and super choice of wood. I have never seen anything like it. Has to be the first on IAP me thinks. Thanks for sharing it Lou.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks for all of your generous comments! Moreton Bay is a seaside resort in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. I received several pieces from Serge. Some of it is much lighter and with a less striking grain. This piece had an assist with the sanding sealer step...a little garnet shellac in my home made friction polish. I normally use blonde. The wood is not oily like the rosewood family, but turns more like a fruitwood. Ed, I think the gold in the nib is a reflection of the tie I was wearing when I took the picture. Again, thanks for viewing and commenting.

Charles

Beautiful pen. Friction finish looks great! Is the wood troublesomw? Punky? Why did you use the sanding sealer prior to the friction finish? Is the grain really open, more so than others?

wayneis

Beautiful pen Lou, I would have guessed cocobolo at first glance. Those Emperor's are really fun aren't they? In my opinion the Emperor needs a fancy or special rare wood and you accomplished that with this one.

Wayne

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Charles - I used the shellac AS the sanding sealer. I seal everything (well, almost everything) before I finish it. Sometimes I use shellac, other times I use thinned lacquer, lacquer friction polish, CA...about anything in the shop that doesn't fight back!

Bob - come on up to DC and try it out!

Johnathan, Jim and <b>Wayne</b> - thanks so much for the kind words. They are truly appreciated.

Edit in: New picture. At night. Without the natural light, some of the colors appear a bit different, but at least I wiped off the fingerprints and lint!

200632415458_MoretonBayFigCl.jpg
<br />

Darley

Beautiful Emperor Lou like a lot and thanks for the dedication to us, now we got Glenda cyclone ( category 5 )in WA this morning was 265 km wind will hit the coast by end of the day. One question did you dye the blank?

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, Serge! No, I didn't dye it...at least not technically. I used some home made shellac as my sanding sealer. Instead of my usual mix of blonde shellac flakes, I used garnet instead. It really helped tone the wood and pop the grain. Good luck with Glenda...at least she was the "GOOD" Witch. Batten down the hatches!

woodwish

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />I think the gold in the nib is a reflection of the tie I was wearing . . .

That is one beautiful pen, really great craftsmanship with some very nice wood. Just curious, do you have a hard time with your tie getting caught up in the lather when turning?[;)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Again, the kind words are very gratifying. Each and every opinion is valuable to me. And Wish, the tie DOES get in the way of the turning...keeps me away from the lathe for about 10+ hours a day! [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom