Matched Set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from its_virgil

Status
Not open for further replies.

its_virgil

Some of you may remember back when the gym at the school where I taught (notice the past tense:D) was destroyed by a storm and I salvaged several maple boards from the court floor. Well, two weeks ago I had an order for a pen and pencil set from a piece of that flooring. The customer wanted them to match as closely as possible and have some red and white accents...our school colors. Here is the result of my efforts. The customer was pleased. Comments welcome...good, bad, or indifferent.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

200722823912_IMG_1927.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

The red bands are slices of a stabilized red dyed maple blank from http://www.arizonasilhouette.com I sliced them a la Ron McIntire using his "morning after" tutorial. They are .100 inches thick. The white is a piece of an expired Chevron credit card and is .030 inches thick. Thanks for asking and commenting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by mewell
<br />Very nice, Don! What did you use for the accents?

kevin_f

Don, nice looking pens. Really like the red and white accents for school colors. Before I read what the accents stood for, I thought they looked like the basketball lines on a gym floor for wood made out of a gym floor.

You may be the first penmaker that can advertise "Get a free credit card with each purchase" or at least part of a credit card.

thewishman

Originally posted by its_virgil
<br />The white is a piece of an expired Chevron credit card and is .030 inches thick.

Didn't Martha Stewart make crafts out of old credit cards a few years ago? Not that I'm saying anything...

I would be better off if I took my <u>current</u> credit cards and made pens from them. They made a nice accent on your pens.

Chris

alxe24

Don that is a nice set of flooring pen. As usual you have that touch, you can make a pen out of aniything an it will usually look good.
Congrats
How many square foot of pens are you going to make[?][:eek:)][:eek:)]

its_virgil

Thanks everyone for the comments. I do appreciate them.
Now, to answer a few questions.
alex: Don't know how many square feet, but I've made about 100 pens from this flooring. We lost all of our athletic equipment in the storm and I gave a portion of the proceeds to the school to help with replacement.

Serge: I too have a few problems with the slimline pencil kits, but the choice was made by the customer knowing of the problems. I think the set will be on display in his office and not in his shirt pocket.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom