Masur Birch Jr. Statesman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jb_pratt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb_pratt

Finally had time to get out and turn. This is a Platinum Jr. Statesman rollerball turned from a piece of Masur Birch. Finished with 4 coats of CA, 2 coats of TSW and 1 coat of Renaissance wax.

200552020041_MasurBirchweb.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Incredible pen, a real beauty. Once question, why TSW and Ren wax? One or the other makes sense to me, but I don't understand why to use both. Again, beautiful pen.

jb_pratt

I am still very new at this hobby. I had a question a few weeks ago; do I use TSW or Renaissance Wax or both? At that time I posted a topic under the finishing section of this site and since have gotten some great feedback. I don’t know if what I am doing is “right†but I do know that I like the result. The discussion of Ren wax vs TSW can be found at: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6222
Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />Incredible pen, a real beauty. Once question, why TSW and Ren wax? One or the other makes sense to me, but I don't understand why to use both. Again, beautiful pen.

Daniel

Fantastic pen, and regardless of the waxes the result is great. Ren wax and TSW are basically the same animal. Lou could give more detail concerning TSW. but if the combinations does this, well why argue.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Daniel
<br />Fantastic pen, and regardless of the waxes the result is great. Ren wax and TSW are basically the same animal. Lou could give more detail concerning TSW. but if the combinations does this, well why argue.
I can't explain why Tom uses TSW and Renaissance Wax for his top coats, but I can give just a little insight into both products. They are <b>very</b> different top coats in the finishing process.

Renaissance Wax is a microcrystalline wax refined from crude oil. It is advertised as being good for wood, metal, marble, photographs--virtually anything in the world. It does not need to be power buffed. I use it for protecting metal, particularly for extending the durability of 24k platings. It's been around for over 30 years.

TSW is a carnauba wax with a structure that allows the carnauba to structurally bond with a polymer to form a protective, highly polishable top coat. TSW can be used to create a satin, semi-gloss or high-gloss finish, depending on the intensity of the buffing. TSW also has the ability to build and add depth to your finish with multiple coats. TSW was developed about a year ago and was extensively tested by members of the IAP.

Back on topic, this is a <b>beautifully finished pen</b>. The finishing method works for Old Griz and JB, so who am I to argue? [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom