Masur Birch Hidden Clip Closed-End

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MartinPens

MartinPens

Well, here is my weekend labor of love. I have never seen this kind of grain in Masur Birch and I sooo love it! Can't wait to do another one.
Clip is from a Churchill kit. Other parts are from Roman Harvest.

If you are curious about the hidden clip, look in the library for a tutorial I did on hidden clips.

Comments are welcome.

Martin

Attachments

• MasurBirch-2585.jpg
    MasurBirch-2585.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 409
  • MasurBirch-2587.jpg
    MasurBirch-2587.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 264
  • MasurBirch-2588.jpg
    MasurBirch-2588.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 385
  • MasurBirch-2590.jpg
    MasurBirch-2590.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 399
  • MasurBirch-2592.jpg
    MasurBirch-2592.jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 377
  • MasurBirch-2594.jpg
    MasurBirch-2594.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 377
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Love the 'everything'....guess that covers all of it!

Question: Is the Birch strong enough on the cap to keep from tearing out a 'chunk' if the end user was to be careless? Or is that thicker then it looks from the photo??

Scott (goitta do one now) B

MartinPens

SDB777 said:
Love the 'everything'....guess that covers all of it!

Question: Is the Birch strong enough on the cap to keep from tearing out a 'chunk' if the end user was to be careless? Or is that thicker then it looks from the photo??

Scott (goitta do one now) B

Well I'm not sure how much carelessness it would take. The wood on the cap near the threads is very thin, but it's fairly soaked through with thin CA, so it would take some wear and tear. This pen would need to be handled somewhat gently, but is not fragile in my opinion.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

MartinPens

I know! The grain on the cap is so amazing. It looks like the trunk of a tree. I sure hope I get time today to get to the next piece with similar grain.

Old Lar

That is a great pen. The wood has a beautiful grain. I really like closed end pens and enjoy making them. The concealed clip is perfect. And.... if you don't get time to turn the next piece.......

hewunch

Outstanding work. I had the same concern about the thin wood near the threads. But regardless, very cool!

MartinPens

I like it. Did you drill the recesss before turning? I assume thats the only way? Gonna try it some day

Yep. All holes and recesses drilled prior to turning. Measure, measure, measure. Tube inserted. Closed-end mandrel and turn to specs.

Wood saturated in thin CA is pretty strong stuff. The next one will have less recess area perhaps.

Martin

Russknan

Beautiful, beautiful pen. The photography ain't half bad, either. Wish I had the skill to make a pen like that. Masur birch is a wonderful choice for a pen, isn't it? I'm currently working on a matched pair of Jr. Gent II's (rollerball and fountain) to give as a wedding gift to relatives in Germany when we go there in Sept. Wedding white and all that . . . Russ

Tom T

Incredible, so nice. The way you displayed the pen in the photo is really good. I have not seen it done that way before. It does not take away from the pen it adds to it. Really nice.

Top Bottom