Masonic pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick_G

Rick_G

The wife's cousin called a couple weeks ago and wondered if I could make him some pens with a masonic symbol on it. Since I don't normally sell my pens and he is one her relatives that I actually like he got them at my cost. Woods used are curly maple, box elder burl, cherry and white ash. The cartridge pen has a piece of the moose antler he gave me a few years ago. It's for his father in law. Some are gifts for members of his lodge and others are for members of a lodge in the Caribbean they are visiting next month. The Masonic symbol was done using lasertran ink jet decal paper.

1_Masonic_pens.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dthayer

Very nice! I've been planning on making a couple using the laser inlays for friends but I really like the way you did it. I may need to rethink my strategy (and learn how to do decals... :wink:)!

Rick_G

Very nice! I've been planning on making a couple using the laser inlays for friends but I really like the way you did it. I may need to rethink my strategy (and learn how to do decals... :wink:)!

Go for it. I use the lasertran because that's the only ones I found locally. They dry with a white background but a coat of oil based poly turns it clear. On wood a coating of real turpentine essentially melts it into the wood then I just build it up with layers of CA until it's thick enough that I can get a smooth surface.

Brian Frank

Masonic

The Pens look great Rick. Your Cousin in law is going to be thrilled with them. I have been looking into doing decals. I finished a few laser inlays a week ago. First time working with them.

Attachments

• IMG_5155.jpg
    IMG_5155.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_4857.jpg
    IMG_4857.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_4855.jpg
    IMG_4855.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 218

dthayer

Sabaharr,

I found nice step-by-step instructions on the Lazertran site here (once on this page, click on the Instructions tab).

It would still be great to have Rick do a full tutorial of the process for us! :biggrin:

chrisb1963

member of the craft

dont some labels didnt have best of luck due to thickness of label could someone refresh memory and give links to where to get decal paper etc..

Rick_G

I bought 2 packages of 10 sheets for around $50 including shipping. I think I got them on amazon but not sure now.
here is one place on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Lazertran-Wat...=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B001LUF54E

You can also do a search on the sku # 688220000095 and a number of places pop up. Not the cheapest stuff but then you don't need to waste a whole page for a couple labels. I just print a row of labels across the top of the page then cut them off after printing. When the sheet gets to short to feed properly I glue the outside edge to another sheet of regular paper.
I don't really think a tutorial is needed for this as lazertran.com has a 52 page project booklet you can download free that pretty well shows everything you need.
These labels seem to be thin enough as my normal CA finish is 2 coats of thin and 6 coats of medium and that's all I used on these. They are delicate though so once they are off the paper backing handle with care as they tear easily. I generally print a few extra just in case.
If you get these labels and have any specific questions feel free to PM me.

chrisb1963

mason pen

i too am a mason might have to give it a shot where do u find decal paper have used before but lost contact info.. thanks

John007

The wife's cousin called a couple weeks ago and wondered if I could make him some pens with a masonic symbol on it. Since I don't normally sell my pens and he is one her relatives that I actually like he got them at my cost. Woods used are curly maple, box elder burl, cherry and white ash. The cartridge pen has a piece of the moose antler he gave me a few years ago. It's for his father in law. Some are gifts for members of his lodge and others are for members of a lodge in the Caribbean they are visiting next month. The Masonic symbol was done using lasertran ink jet decal paper.

1_Masonic_pens.JPG

Hi Rick,

How to finish the pen after pasting the sticker on the wood ?
Varnish pray, CA glue ...?
I am a beginner in wood turning ... :bashful:
Thanks,
John

Rick_G

John the decals I use call for an oil based poly to make the white background go clear. I put a coat of poly on it and then apply my normal CA finish. I start with 2 coats of thin CA then several coats of medium CA (usually at least 8) to enable me to sand it down to a smooth finish. I wet sand with 2000 grit then use a plastic polish.

Hi Rick,

Thanks,
John

John007

John the decals I use call for an oil based poly to make the white background go clear. I put a coat of poly on it and then apply my normal CA finish. I start with 2 coats of thin CA then several coats of medium CA (usually at least 8) to enable me to sand it down to a smooth finish. I wet sand with 2000 grit then use a plastic polish.

Hi Rick,

Thanks,
John

Rick,
Thank you very much for the explanation .
I can achieve now .
Good evening to you.
John

gimpy

1_Masonic_pens.JPG
Would it be possible if you could make me a dozen decals. I'm currently making pens for a lodge that is celebrating their 200th anniversary. I'm in the process of putting the wop as we speak. they need the pens by the end of the month....Please advise...Thank you

Top Bottom