Masonic Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Wingnut

Wingnut

My first attempt and adding symbolism into a pen creation. Most Masons will pick up on most of it.

_MG_3712.JPG

_MG_3733.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wingnut

THANK YOU for the comments!

Yes top is corn cob infused with wine and finished with oil finish... (anyone else use Tru-Oil to finish?)

Bottom is acacia koa

kludge77

Not a mason either. Assume this is a "5" thing. tdicc or steps or something.

Maybe a 3-5-7 thing? Will you tell us, or do we have to convert first!? :)

Regardless Pen looks good.

Last edited:

maxman400

Nice Looking Pen, I use this kit for for my daily carry pen. My question is why is the top of the cap left so proud of the hardware?

Wingnut

Not a mason either. Assume this is a "5" thing. tdicc or steps or something.

Maybe a 3-5-7 thing? Will you tell us, or do we have to convert first!? :)

Regardless Pen looks good.

Trying to stay on topic...

There are 3 degrees in Free Masonry:
1st is Entered Apprentice
2nd is Fellowcraft and
3rd is Master Mason

The pen as a whole is one and I am but an apprentice in creating pens and art.

The top
is emblematic of the 2nd degree and is in itself divided into 2 sections. Corn, wine and oil were the wages for the craftsman of King Solomon's temple and are explained as:

Corn represents nourishment and the sustenance of life.

Wine is symbolic of refreshment, health, and peace.

Oil represents spirituality, joy, gladness, and happiness.

Taken together, corn, wine, and oil represent the potential rewards of living a good life in service to one God, family, community, country and yourself.

The bottom is representative of the 3rd degree or Master Mason and is divided into 3 parts. It reminds me not only of the 3 degrees but also to spend a portion of my time to serve God and a distressed worthy brother, a portion for work, and a portion for rest and refreshment. Time wasted can never be recovered. The wood, Acacia (acacia koa in this case) is the wood that God told Moses to use to make the tabernacle, the ark of the covenant, the table for the showbread, and the rest of the sacred furniture. This represents the immortality of the soul and is a constant reminder that by its evergreen and unchanging nature will never die. Some might argue that this should be the top of the pen, but I would say that it is the base and should be at the end where the real work gets done...

Sorry for the long post but I got on a roll.

bensoelberg

Nice Looking Pen, I use this kit for for my daily carry pen. My question is why is the top of the cap left so proud of the hardware?

I was looking at that today and I honestly dont know. It was mostly flat with the bushings. Ideas?

To be that far off, I think you might have grabbed the wrong bushings. Having done that myself (I mixed up my slimline and teacher's pen bushings, they're only a few thousandth of an inch different, but I could still feel it) I know that it is easy to do. Because of that one experience, I always use my calipers to check that the blank and the hardware match up. (And even then, I'm not always perfect.)

shadrach1944

Staircase maybe

Appears to be of a Moral and Progressive Science! You did a Great job on this one and I do like the EL Grande-Olympian Elite style of the pen and would look great in the EL Grande Streamline style also.

Here are some pens I created from the Lodge floor tile, let me know, Constructive criticism is accepted on all my work. How many clues in the single pen photo can you find?

Attachments

• P6020122crp.jpg
    P6020122crp.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 119
  • LodgeFloorPens730.jpg
    LodgeFloorPens730.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 141

airrat

Looks good. Not sure about the cap end I would caliper the bushing and the final and see if they got mixed up. I don't have those or I would post the dia for you.

Not being a mason great story (I hate using that word for something like this) "meaning" behind the pen. I love something like that. It gives true depth to it.

SGM Retired

Now I understand, thanks for the education on Mason's. My Grandfather was a high level Mason and at his funeral things took place that I did not understand but it was a nice service. He was 93 years old, H.O. Carter from Palatka, FL is his name. Thanks.
Gary

Wingnut

Appears to be of a Moral and Progressive Science! You did a Great job on this one and I do like the EL Grande-Olympian Elite style of the pen and would look great in the EL Grande Streamline style also.

Here are some pens I created from the Lodge floor tile, let me know, Constructive criticism is accepted on all my work. How many clues in the single pen photo can you find?

I like very much! 3 5 7 Tubalcain or depending on how you view it Boaz and Jachin

Top Bottom