Marla's Magic and others

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

Here are a few more pens I have done recently. A couple of them are Marla's creation and 1 from Phunky. I also gotta give props to WiseT and his scallop tutorial as he is the one who took time to post it. Comments and Critiques are always welcome and thanks for looking.
jrgent2008.jpg

jrgent2002.jpg

jrgent2011.jpg

jrgent2013.jpg

jrgent2014.jpg

jrgent2010.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gilrock

Really nice group of pens. I especially like the 2nd one down with the cast paper design. I'm curious about the antler....is that dark spot some type of filler?

firewhatfire

Really nice group of pens. I especially like the 2nd one down with the cast paper design. I'm curious about the antler....is that dark spot some type of filler?

nope its the bark left on it. Gives a little character.

Very nice pieces! Is the "Republic of Texas" a copy of a bank note encased in resin?

I think it is, that was one of the blanks I won in the Birthday Bash from Phunky

BSea

I really like the antler in that it has some of the bark on it. I think that little detail makes a world of difference. When antler doesn't have bark on it, it just looks kind of dull to me.

The scalloped pen looks good. The scallops look even. That's harder than it looks. At least it is for me.:rolleyes: I'm just wondering why you didn't complete the assembly. Or am I missing something? (which is entirely possible):confused: .

I like the pink & black segmented. But I think it would be better with some aluminum separating the segments. But that's just me.

All in all, a really nice group.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, is that last pen one of those sunflower seed blanks? If so, was it prone to chip outs? I've been thinking of getting some of those, but I think I need to turn some of what I have 1st.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

I absolutely love those feather blanks. I haven't had a chance to turn one yet but I have yet to see a feather setup that I didn't like.

It also looks like you've got those scallops down pretty good at this point. Have you started playing around with deeper angles yet?

firewhatfire

It is a sunflower seed blank(Dakota Burl) They do chip out some. Sharp tools and stop and thin CA alongthe way help. I soaked the ends prior to and after drilling to prevent the chip out. Thats where I lost my first couple of them I tried.

I actually meant to put aluminum between the pink and black. Looking at the aluminum sitting there after glue has been put on the tube is the wrong time to try it though.

The scalloped pen assembly is some leftovers from other projects. I have to order one for that pen(just stuck those on to see how I like it) Gonna make it a fountain pen and upgrade the nib to a Bock.:biggrin:

I really like the antler in that it has some of the bark on it. I think that little detail makes a world of difference. When antler doesn't have bark on it, it just looks kind of dull to me.

The scalloped pen looks good. The scallops look even. That's harder than it looks. At least it is for me.:rolleyes: I'm just wondering why you didn't complete the assembly. Or am I missing something? (which is entirely possible):confused: .

I like the pink & black segmented. But I think it would be better with some aluminum separating the segments. But that's just me.

All in all, a really nice group.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, is that last pen one of those sunflower seed blanks? If so, was it prone to chip outs? I've been thinking of getting some of those, but I think I need to turn some of what I have 1st.

carpblaster

Wow never know what your going to come up with next, they all are great,next you will be making a pen our of a piece of hiway rock, whats next
rodney

edicehouse

Phil,
No question on your craftsman ship what so ever! I really like the last pen, the grain in it and all. Lately when I have been making a pen for stockpile, it has generally been wood.

Top Bottom