"The Market" Herringbone #3

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from akbar24601

akbar24601

This is one of my favorites. This was my first time incorporating Aluminum into one of my designs. This is an Elegant Titanium and Platinum Wall Street II Pen with Bloodwood, Ebony and Aluminum. ~S

Attachments

• The Market.jpg
    The Market.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 530
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Holy cow! I hope you don't mind others borrowing that idea because that is just beautiful! I can't say that I've seen another herringbone that jumps out like that.

Skye

Yeah, don't inhale it!

Good job with that. A lot of people have a hard time getting a smooth contour when they're turning something with such different densities side by side.

bitshird

I'd say you've got the hang of it Beautiful design and execution, Don't do any tutorials, things like that are better learned through experiment, That's what gets these great designs, when people make errors then figure out a way to enhance their own designs, JMHO .

mb757

Very nice work on the batch of pens and they are spectacular.

I have not understood why people are always encouraging others to keep their work to themselves. While it is your choice to tell others how you do your blanks the lack of sharing will never further the craft of penturning.

akbar24601

Very nice work on the batch of pens and they are spectacular.

I have not understood why people are always encouraging others to keep their work to themselves. While it is your choice to tell others how you do your blanks the lack of sharing will never further the craft of penturning.

Well, I have to agree with what you are saying, but, I suppose that there is a sense of pride that goes along with having figured something out on your own. When I consider all of the hair pulling hours that I put in to figuring out the Herringbone, I guess part of me doesn't want to give it up that easily. That having been said, I also have to sympathize with those that don't have the time that I do or the obsessive compulsive nature to bite into that thing and not let it go until I've got it. ~S

akbar24601

Beautiful job on the blank and pen Steve . Did you seal the wood before sanding to keep the aluminum dust out of the wood ?

Thank You. No, I did not seal the wood first. Not a bad idea though. Kruzzer gave me the great idea of using compressed air like used for computers to blow the blanks off before finishing. So far it's worked like a charm. :biggrin:

mb757

I'd say you've got the hang of it Beautiful design and execution, Don't do any tutorials, things like that are better learned through experiment, That's what gets these great designs, when people make errors then figure out a way to enhance their own designs, JMHO .

All I'm saying is that I have never understood the mentality of not sharing any thing besides pictures. I realize that experimentation and errors will create different patterns, however looking through the library I would hate to think of how long it would take to expand the craft with out direction. If not for Russ's (and many others) tutorial we would all still be using friction polish for finish and think it was all we need. Experimentation and errors will still take place, but it will be at a faster rate involving more people thus taking this craft to a higher level quicker. I know there are many that disagree with me, I however don't think people should be encouraged to keep it to themselves. To share or not share should be the individuals decision, not mine or any one elses.

Top Bottom