Marble, by Toni

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edstreet

edstreet

Another in the stone series by Toni Ransfield.

attachment.php

Kit is from Gary Pye and made at Ace metal

Attachments

• IMG_6595.jpg
    IMG_6595.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 650
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

It looks nice, but it just doesn't say, "This is stone" to me ... it looks more like a print. I liked the previous marble design a lot more.

The Lapis design is also more realistic in my eyes ... of course, I'm comparing it to the lapis chunks I have sitting on my desk so ... :)

edstreet

Having, seen and access to hundreds of types of stone over the years ranging from some very pricy high grade Japanese stone to common type I can assure you 100% that it does look like stone.

alphageek

Former Moderator
I agree that it doesn't look like stone... Its an interesting pattern, but it doesn't look like stone to me either.

Now, Ed just because you may be an expert, having spent so much of you life looking at rocks, doesn't mean that others opinions are wrong! As a matter of fact, in this case I'd bet if you put this out as a blind test of "guess the material" with no biasing the answers - I'll bet stone would not have been the majority of the guesses.

Brian G

It's beautiful, but it doesn't look like those. Maybe from 15 feet away it does.

You're trying too hard to defend it. It doesn't need defending.

alphageek

Former Moderator
It's beautiful, but it doesn't look like those. Maybe from 15 feet away it does.

You're trying too hard to defend it. It doesn't need defending.

I agree - I don't think it looks like those either...

As for Ed trying too hard to defend it, that's no surprise... It's what he does.

chartle

I don't care if it looks like stone or not. It's a great looking pen.

...and it does look like stone.... :)

Kory

Agreed I just think that the stone would read a little better if the pieces were a tad larger. Not much just a little.

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
It is a great looking blank. It does not look like the examples shown but that really doesn't matter. It is what it is.

edstreet

Really it does not matter if it does or does not. What does matter is Toni worked her butt off on these and doing pioneer work in this arena. Something that many here are to afraid to do.

Proof of concept is what this is about and has been degraded and ignored by many.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
No Ed, you are wrong again.

There is absolutely no doubt that Toni's work is second to none. Everyone loves it, me too.

When Toni posts her work she is showered in well deserved accolades.

When you post it, you attempt to ram it down our throats, and I reckon THAT is the real reason her recent wonderful work has been pretty much ignored.

Google it...... you'll find this is the truth !!:wink:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Having, seen and access to hundreds of types of stone over the years ranging from some very pricy high grade Japanese stone to common type I can assure you 100% that it does looks like stone.

Google, learn how to speak it my friend.

View attachment 137491

View attachment 137492

Really it does not matter if it does or does not. What does matter is Toni worked her butt off on these and doing pioneer work in this arena. Something that many here are to afraid to do.

Proof of concept is what this is about and has been degraded and ignored by many.

It obviously matters to you. You are the one who insists that it does look like stone and as normal you get all bent out of shape a throw a little hissy fit because everyone does not enthusiastically agree with you. Then, as normal, you try to deflect the issue to something else. Every poster here agrees it is a great looking blank. Not everyone agrees that it really look like stone. Grow up and get over it.

Last edited:

Brian G

I think you need to learn how to gracefully handle critiques. Any of us could have behaved as you do and started with "There is fail evident" and blathered on with a bunch of non sequiturs and how everybody else is stupid, has a puny mind, and cannot hold a candle to your superior intellect.

Seriously, sir, you need to recalibrate your approach. Other people work their butt off on trying things too, and in trying to get better at things they ask a question. Then you drop a snide remark to their question, but get twisted in knots when YOUR stuff receives tactful critiques that are not glowing enough for you? There's a word for that; Google it.

Skie_M

I never said it doesn't look good ... it just doesn't look like stone to me.

And I was right about that Lapis .... she's gonna have trouble keeping that one in stock, which means my chances of getting one will be pretty low! :(

edstreet

I think you need to learn how to gracefully handle critiques. Any of us could have behaved as you do and started with "There is fail evident" and blathered on with a bunch of non sequiturs and how everybody else is stupid, has a puny mind, and cannot hold a candle to your superior intellect.

Seriously, sir, you need to recalibrate your approach. Other people work their butt off on trying things too, and in trying to get better at things they ask a question. Then you drop a snide remark to their question, but get twisted in knots when YOUR stuff receives tactful critiques that are not glowing enough for you? There's a word for that; Google it.

I never said it doesn't look good ... it just doesn't look like stone to me.

And I was right about that Lapis .... she's gonna have trouble keeping that one in stock, which means my chances of getting one will be pretty low! :(

Since both of you are rather new and unlikely to know some of the politics backstory I would like to say sorry to both of you for getting caught up in the ongoing mess. It has spilled over from other long standing issues.

It really does not matter to me at all if someone thinks it's stone or not, one person pointed out it looks like "tru stone" and not real stone, that to may be the case and I really do not care one way or another and I have lost 0 sleep over that topic at all. I also would like to say thanks to everyone, especially Skie_M, for being honest in saying first about that topic. As we seen in this thread, http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/polymer-clay-faux-black-marble-134478/ this is a new attempt and it's being pioneered so there will be some good and bad from it.

Brian as for the critiques. If you look I am one of the more outspoken people on critiques and for that very reason many hate me with a passion. I see things that many may miss, not care about or does not want to see. I have dealt with plenty of critiques in the past on both sides of the isles. However from your post I have gained some insight into several areas, likely not what you may be thinking either.

Also with all the drama that has been brought to this thread from outside sources this has given me several ideas for future pen designs to work with! I would like to graciously thank all those in the gang for giving me these new design ideas.

As for that I believe I do have a bowl of pen tubes to work on, many new designs to make ... and some clay to play with, well screw up more than anything.

Top Bottom