Marble on Marble Wood pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Buddy Stacy

Buddy Stacy

Pen is Marble Wood with a band of Carrera Marble in the center of the upper. I wish the marble had more veining. What is there is too faint to show up in the picture.

Attachments

• Marble on marble.jpg
    Marble on marble.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 212
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

Pen is Marble Wood with a band of Carrera Marble in the center of the upper. I wish the marble had more veining. What is there is too faint to show up in the picture.
Nice idea, it's a shame you're not satisfied with the marble. How difficult was it to work with?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Buddy Stacy

Nice idea, it's a shame you're not satisfied with the marble. How difficult was it to work with?

Wasn't too bad actually. I have tried doing straight marble and it is just too soft when you start getting close to the bushings and it crumbles, ruining the whole piece. Doing it this way is a good compromise. Having it in the middle keeps the edges thick and being glued to the two end pieces helps support it.

I used 80 grit sandpaper for all of the shaping. I eased the corners over on a sanding belt then used 80 grit emery cloth while on the lathe. I worked slowly as the heat builds up pretty quickly. I tried wet sanding to keep things cool, but that just gummed up the paper, which caused even more heat, so I went back to dry sanding.

I did use lathe tools on the wood ends to get them to the final dimensions and was just careful to stay away from the marble with the chisel.

Once I had the profile, it was just a matter of running through the 150 - 600 grits, CA, wet sanding with micro mesh and polish.

DJBPenmaker

Sounds like an awful lot of work. But there's no gain without pain as the saying goes. Well done on a pretty unique pen.

Top Bottom