Marble cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from laspringer

Status
Not open for further replies.

laspringer

First marble cigar. Did most of the work on the saw but for fine tuning and sanding I used the lathe.

Thanks Alan

200592224631_Cig_Marble.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I admire your adventurous spirit!
I have been asked about trying marble but there's just something about "turning a rock" that is unsettling to me.
Your attempt and success might push me to persue it.Thanks for not putting in too many details, I will enjoy the challenges and discoveries.
I think it was Griz( but may have been someone else) who turned a soapstone pen almost a year ago.
IIRC there were issues with brittleness and breakinging.
The concept and excecution prove what you can come up with when you look to alternative materials that would not normally considered "pen-making " material.
Thanks for showing a beutiful pen and an outside the "Quarry" concept.
Another thought just occurred to me before I hit the submit button.The irony of this pen is rather whimsical.
Corian counter tops were used to replace marble or granite.An inventive penturner used Corian to make a pen that simulated marble.You made a pen out of marble and I imagine you will be asked if it is made out of Corian.
Regrdless, Excellent!(I bet you make sure not to drop it)

Ligget

Good thinking Alan, nothing wrong with being adventurous and trying different materials.
I like the concept, however, the weight and impact resistance of marble may be problematic![:)]

John that is a beautiful corian cigar you made![:p]

laspringer

Thanks everybody for the positive comments on a different material for pen turning. Would I do it again? Yes, I would like more of a color contrast of the marble. This pen was an experiment to turn marble. The guy I got the marble from asked for a marble pen if this one turned out ok. The challenge now is he wants a slimline marble pen.

Thanks Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom