Maple Wood just inside spalting in NH

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mikespenturningz

I got some wood from a dead tree. The tree was a huge maple that had a lot of spalting going on. Just inside the spalted part of the wood is a very dark band of wood. This is the outcome of making a pen from it.

il_570xN.362490266_dq0g.jpg

This looks almost like Walnut with more grain features? Any idea what the correct term for this wood is? It makes a beautiful pen that is for sure! There are more images on my Etsy site.

plantman

dark maple

I got some wood from a dead tree. The tree was a huge maple that had a lot of spalting going on. Just inside the spalted part of the wood is a very dark band of wood. This is the outcome of making a pen from it.

il_570xN.362490266_dq0g.jpg

This looks almost like Walnut with more grain features? Any idea what the correct term for this wood is? It makes a beautiful pen that is for sure! There are more images on my Etsy site.

:confused::confused: Mike: I beleave this may be Acer saccharum also known as Black Maple. This is a member of the Sugar Maple family. The heartwood ranges from a light tan to a dark reddish brown, with the sapwood being realy white. It's found in most states east of the Rocky Mountains, but the largest quantity is found in the New England states and along the Great Lakes Jim S

Thanks plantman I had never heard of that but that really doesn't mean anything. I just know the wood is really beautiful. I will adjust my listing.

Top Bottom