Maple Wenge & Padauk Ringed Gatsby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from adirondak5

adirondak5

Just a scrap wood blank I glued up from some thin offcuts I had leftover from another project . Not as nice as others I've seen here , but it turned nice and finished nice . Sanded to 600 , EEE , mm to 12000 , sealer and friction polish and carnuba for finish .

SyYeRRe.png

4wUk2BY.png

GYsDo0j.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

I Love the Under Pattern of the Maple, of the Blank, and the fact that you matched it throughout the Segmented Joints, Excellent, Herb.
Good Segmentation, Fit and Finish.
IMHO, I think it could been improved, if the Bulge of the Blank, was reduced a little. (Perhaps I am just too self conscious of being Overweight).
Congratulations,
Brian.

adirondak5

I Love the Under Pattern of the Maple, of the Blank, and the fact that you matched it throughout the Segmented Joints, Excellent, Herb.
Good Segmentation, Fit and Finish.
IMHO, I think it could been improved, if the Bulge of the Blank, was reduced a little. (Perhaps I am just too self conscious of being Overweight).
Congratulations,
Brian.

Thank you Brian , very kind of you . The under pattern on the maple stood out when I glued that blank up so it was easy to adjust the pieces . In looking at the finished pen before even posting it here , I thought the same as you , the barrel bulge should have been a tad thinner , I need to work on that aspect of my turning .

adirondak5

I agree about the bulge but other than that it is a great pen.

Thanks Jim , as being fairly new to pen turning I find myself battling the bulge on almost every pen I've turned , I am bringing it down with each pen I do , and once I turn one I even see it where it could be slimmer in the waist . I'll get there , and I do appreciate the honest advice from you folks with the experience :)

Your segmenting is spot on. I've had trouble with horizontal segments because the work has to be very precise. I do agree that it's a bit beefy, but there's no doubt the segmenting is very well done.

Top Bottom