Maple Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

splinter99

At last months Board meeting for Turners Anynonomous, one of the other board members was offering some blocks of maple burl that he had picked up. He was selling them for a buck each. (I didnt want to be a hog so I only took 10 or so, Now I wish I had gotten a few more

Maple Burl and blackwood chrome slimline, recessed clip, Ca/blo finish

Thanks for looking

2008622164818_mapleslim.jpg

this one shows the clip end a little better

2008622164951_mapleslim2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nick

Harold,
One of the best slimlines that I have seen, the photo is excellent as well!!
Could you share how you did the clip.
Regards
Nick

bitshird

Now that's a great slimline, I've seen pics of one very similar to that. Goes to prove that there can be great pens made from slimline kits.:):):):):)

splinter99

Thank You Don, that is a very good article, that is excatly how I did it Nick. I had seen a pic of a pen made that way a while ago and just went to work figuring out how it was done..Wish I had seen Dons article, It would have saved alot of trial and error. (I also write an article called "penturners corner" for the clubs monthly newsletter)

its_virgil

Oh, BTW Harold, your pen is really nice. you did an excellent job with it. I like the little slice of maple between the blackwood bottom and the slice of blackwood... These pens are fun to make for a unique and different look. Slimlines are fun to modify.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by splinter99

Thank You Don, that is a very good article, that is excatly how I did it Nick.

badger

I don't wish you'd gotten more....

I wish you'd gotten them all and sent them to me.

That wood is gorgeous. The pen looks great, nice find and nice work.

altaciii

very nice pen! Great read on the article, looks like I now have something to try so I can finally use up the countless slimline kits I've never used. The slims have always been to boring for me. Now that's what I call creating excitment.

Freethinker

Originally posted by its_virgil

I'm not Harold, but you may get your question answered by reading this article on my website:
http://tinyurl.com/2hb7z3
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don;

I very much enjoyed the linked PDF article on how the pen was done, and I appreciate you posting it.

I was, I believe, following perfectly what you were talking about UNTIL near the end assembly where you mention the finial.

???

There was nothing in the article about creating the finial, what material it is made of, how it is shaped or created, how it fits next to the clip.....nothing.

You simply state -- ""Drop the clip into its recess and notch and press in the finial.""

The finial, it would seem, will have to have a round protrusion on the bottom to be press-fit into the the 11/32nds hole, yet be angled at 15 degrees on top. Could you elaborate a bit more (well, hopefully, a lot more) on the creation/means of shaping/material of the finial itself? I'd really like to try this very interesting take on the Slimline.

Thanks.

Dan

Nick

I'm not Harold, but you may get your question answered by reading this article on my website:
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Thanks for your link to the PDF, I also pulled up your web site, very nice site and excellent craftsmanship on your pens.
Nick

Originally posted by Nick

Harold,
One of the best slimlines that I have seen, the photo is excellent as well!!
Could you share how you did the clip.
Regards
Nick

its_virgil

The finial is the small round piece that comes with the kit and holds the clip to the top of the slimline upper barrel. There is nothing to make. Just use the kit parts.

No angle on the finial. The end of the blank extends past the end of the tube and the end(of the blank) is cut at the 15 degree angle. the end of the blank is then counter bored with the larger hole to acommodate the finial's diameter. The tube is not cut. Take a look at the article again. There are a couple of pictures and diagrams that show how it all fits together. You must have missed the diagrams.;)

There are some other articles on modifying slimlines on my website along with other pen articles. When my Penturner's Corner article has info on making a pen or a modification I post it on my website. The can be found at http://www.RedRiverPens.com/articles

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Freethinker

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Don;

I very much enjoyed the linked PDF article on how the pen was done, and I appreciate you posting it.

I was, I believe, following perfectly what you were talking about UNTIL near the end assembly where you mention the finial.

???

There was nothing in the article about creating the finial, what material it is made of, how it is shaped or created, how it fits next to the clip.....nothing.

You simply state -- ""Drop the clip into its recess and notch and press in the finial.""

The finial, it would seem, will have to have a round protrusion on the bottom to be press-fit into the the 11/32nds hole, yet be angled at 15 degrees on top. Could you elaborate a bit more (well, hopefully, a lot more) on the creation/means of shaping/material of the finial itself? I'd really like to try this very interesting take on the Slimline.

Thanks.

Dan

Freethinker

The finial is the small round piece that comes with the kit and holds the clip to the top of the slimline upper barrel. There is nothing to make. Just use the kit parts.

No angle on the finial. The end of the blank extends past the end of the tube and the end(of the blank) is cut at the 15 degree angle. the end of the blank is then counter bored with the larger hole to acommodate the finial's diameter. The tube is not cut. Take a look at the article again. There are a couple of pictures and diagrams that show how it all fits together. You must have missed the diagrams.;)

Ok.

I understand now.

Thanks for the clarification.

Top Bottom