Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ron in Drums PA

Status
Not open for further replies.
c9zo2

Comments welcomed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Truly unique. And the craftmanship is outstanding. Hard to describe the effect it had on me. Definately a high dollar item. I put the picture into a photo program to enlarge because I wanted to see that shadow, or shading, effect in more detail. Wow! [:0] Howdjadodat? [?][?] And the weaving effect is also very impressive. I like the natural elegance of maple. Believe that is a much overlooked wood by the bunch here. You mated it with a beautiful color contrast in the purpleheart. Mucho kudos.

Deere41h

Ron.....That is beautiful. I love the way it turned out. The two colors with the shading complement each other so well. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Wow! Thanks for all the compliments everyone.

Frank, maple has always been my favorite wood, this blank started out as birdeye maple, but every eye turned away. Bummer!

arjudy, sorry I don't have a photo of the blank before turning. I should start doing that.

I used an old tool I had hanging around the shop
Propane Torch.

But be careful doing this.

M

Mudder

Very nice work Ron.

I also like the shadow effect that you created and was surprised on how it was created.

alamocdc

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />I used an old tool I had... Propane Torch.

But be careful doing this.

You can also heat sand in a small pot and not have to be quite so careful. Dip and hold the edges into the sand for a few seconds and check progress.

BTW, beautiful pen, Ron!![^]

Originally posted by alamocdc
You can also heat sand in a small pot and not have to be quite so careful. Dip and hold the edges into the sand for a few seconds and check progress.

That is the way I do it in marquetry. It didn't work well for this project.
In marquetry you are only tarnishing a small section and only an edge. On this I had to burn a flat side and the wood would curl by the time it was "black" enough, then crack when flattening out.

Originally posted by Darley
<br />Awesome pen Ron, did you have any bleeding of the PH on to the Maple?

No I didn't have any problems with bleeding. I was more concerned with the "burnt" wood staining the light maple then the purpleheart.

As soon as I was finished with the turning and before I started sanding, I used a 1# cut of super blonde dewaxed shellac and applied it as a friction polish. On coarser grits I applied this twice, once before and the second time in the middle of sanding. On the finer grits I just applied the shellac before sanding.

Originally posted by Darley
<br />how many sides your blank have 6 or 8?

This pen has six sides. The cigar pen has 8.

Originally posted by woodscavenger
<br />That is drop dead awesome! I like the steep angle and the shadow effect. Well done. Now just perfect a wood nib and I will have to quit this stuff.

Any suggestions on how I can perfect a nib? I'm opened to new ideas.

Thanks Again Everyone

jhinze

I have never seen the like. That is absolutely incredible. Celtic knot work is some of my favorite art, hell I have a nice knot tatooed on my calf.

I WANT ONE!

Now I'm going to be destroying pen blanks trying to do one like it... better get out my college trig/geometry book [8D]

JimGo Said
OK Ron, when are you gonna share how you did it!?!?! This is beautiful!

Yes I am, have patience. Between being swamped at work, keeping up with two teenagers' activities, a long honey-do list, trying to get some turning in-between, I haven't had much time to finish up the article. There is a step to step procedure on how to do it right.

Dominic Greco

Ron,
I was pretty floored when I saw this. You've really come up with a stunning technique. I can't wait to read the article.

I'd love to apply that technique to a peppermill!

JimGo

Originally posted by Ron in Drums PA
<br />
Yes I am, have patience.
Sorry Ron, I live in the DC metro region, one of the most congested in the country. The up-side is that we have access to just about anything we want, basically on demand. Patience isn't something usually found around here!

All kidding aside, I know how hectic life can be, and I appreciate you taking the time to write it all up.

Dan

Incredible work Ron, I hope you'll take the time to tell us how you do your inlays. You have a real talent that advances the state of the craft. The precision is mind numbing and your beautiful designs are awe inspiring.

I raise my glass to a master craftsman.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom