Maple Burl Majestic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ankrom Exotics

MapleBurlMajestic.jpg

My first upscale pen. Actually, this was my third attempt but I ended up scrapping the first two when the very tight fitting center band tube assembly ended up splitting either the blank or the center band. I am now the proud owner of two ever present (and not inexpensive) reminders that the old saying "if it don't fit..... force it" doesn't always apply.

This is a Black Titanium & Rhodium "Majestic" from PSI. The blank is one of the dyed and pressure stabilized Maple Burl blanks that I produce in my shop. This particular blank was dyed "smoke grey" to compliment the black Titanium. The pen is finished with 3 coats of C/A and buffed using the Beall Wood Buff system.

The color is off a bit in the photo. Please excuse that as we muddle our way through the photography learning curve. Apparently taking quality photos of pens is quite possibly more difficult than making quality pens.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

igran7

Stunning pen Pat, you did an outstanding job on the prep of the wood and the pen fit & finish are spot on. You are right about the photography, sometimes it is more difficult to capture the beauty with the camera than it is to reveal it while turning on the lathe.

redfishsc

I LOVE the color of the burl with the black ti--- excellent choice---- you did the kit GOOD!

I made a Maj. Jr. out of DI, it writes very well, I like their nibs.

Thanks for your comments on the pen and the blank. I have set up a shop where I dye and stabilize wood for use by custom knifemakers, penturners, game call makers etc.... I've been thinking about listing some of my blanks in the classifieds if anyone would be interested.

Thanks for your comments on the pen and the blank. I have set up a shop where I dye and stabilize wood for use by custom knifemakers, penturners, game call makers etc.... I've been thinking about listing some of my blanks in the classifieds if anyone would be interested.

Very nice work, I definitely think you should list in some of your blanks in the classifieds!:)

Definitely a bit pricier than any of the kits I've tried before this one but there was a good sale at PSI. This kit is normall around $45 but with the sale price and the discount for purchasing 6 of them I was able to cut the cost to $26 each. Seemed like a reasonable price and thought it might actually be something I can make a buck or two with. Also, I have listed some of my stabilized maple burl blanks in the business classifieds.

VisExp

The jury is still out on that kit, but this pen sure could sway the jury :) Very nice, the blank combines so well with the kit, it just works.

bitshird

Pat, it's real hard to write with a picture, not so much though with a well crafted and beautiful up scale writing instrument, and you definitely have one there,
The nibs, clips and such from the damaged ones just give you a start for your first kitless pen,

dntrost

That is really nice. I have been sitting on some really nice blanks trying to get up the courage (and permission from LOML AKA Warden, keeper of the checkbook) to buy some nice kits I am stuck in cigars and some cheap screw tops until I get the finishing down pat.
Great job!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
What a beautiful piece of wood! And your combination of dye & stabilizing with the Black T and R is simply beautiful!
Great job!

Top Bottom