Maple Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tinker

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinker

I am stuck on slim lines right now. This would have really been nice on a Baron. I bought the kits and the LOML ordered the blanks. There are a couple more burls in the box.

200571615244_47.jpg

20057162329_49.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

For a slimline, and a relatively straight one to boot, the burl really comes though on the lower barrel. That's a very pretty pen! Looks like a nice job on the finish, too.

By the way, that wasn't a knock on the shape of the pen; it's just that normally I don't envision something that close to straight showing off the wood.

tinker

Jim,
I agree. It surprised me that it looked that good. I think something like a Baron would have really been the best choice for this wood. I have (or should say had) 50 S/L kits I have used up about 20 so far. I am taking a class from a fellow turner Sunday and will probably move into the other styles soon. We will be making a euro style in the class.

alamocdc

That looks really nice, Tinker! You are a braver soul than I. I have a number of burls and I turn my share of SLs (albeit very unslimline-like). However, I wouldn't dare attempt such an endeavor. I just couldn't stand to throw so much pretty wood on the floor. [;)] If you sell it, make the price worthy of that burl. [:D]

tinker

Thanks to all. Being a newbie to penturning, I wasn't aware of what I was attempting. While I was peeling the wood off, I was think, man that is a lot of nice wood going on the floor. That is what made me think of the Baron style.

I bought 50 S/L kits and was going to turn most of them with cutoffs from other projects, cherry, walnut, mahogany etc. I had bought a kit for a beginner which had 5 blanks and I turned a few of those and the LOML started paying attention to what was going on. She found the Penstate catalog that came with the 50 S/L kits and saw all of the blanks that were available and called and ordered about 50 blanks, some of everything.

While I was doing glue ups on the pantry for my son and the LOHL I started turning some of them. Well, it kind of turned around and now it is when I have a break in turning pens, I work on the pantry.

This is getting addicting and I have three major projects scheduled, the pantry (50% complete), a pistol box (85% complete) and an entertainment center (haven't started yet).

LOML has sold 9 pens (probably too cheap) and wants an inventory. The president of the PTA at the high school has requested to talk about the one I had lasered with the school colors as gifts for the teachers and coaches. This could get out of hand. LOML has scheduled talks for consignments with several people she knows.

Other projects that need attention are pressure wash and paint the 14 x 36 deck and refinish all of the hardwood floors since I ripped out all of the carpet.
I also tore out all of the landscaping this spring planning on a total redo this fall.
I am just about overwhelmed. I just have to remember my moto, "first things first", just don't know which is first anymore. I guess that is a good thing.

Oh yeah, I am involved with the gridiron booster club fund raising and the Quarterback club, which is doing a renovate of the locker rooms and weight room. My 5'11" 225 lb grandson will be a lineman on the freshman team and has been in spring traing since the first of June. That takes two hours out of my day 4 days a week.

WoodChucker

Tinker, great looking pen and I wouldn't worry about the waste. With each pass across that blank you gained a little more experience so there's no waste there. Nice work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom