A manzanita root cigar and locust burl baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dubdrvrkev

Status
Not open for further replies.

dubdrvrkev

The manzanita root was pretty much a PITA all the way, I have a few more blanks that may stay blanks. The Black Locust burl was great to turn, hard as a rock, and finishes great. Unfortunately I cracked it at the center band assembling it. I had a burr in the tube. It is just a tiny little hairline so I'll try to repair it. If not I'll be carrying a baron now ;)

The picture does not do the colors justice on this one.
2005521165615_manzanita%20root%20cigar%20crop%201.jpg

2005521165715_locust%20burl%20baron%20crop%202.jpg

2005521165735_locust%20burl%20baron%20crop%201.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Beautiful pens Kevin...
Question... does the black locust burl have the same chatoyance and regular black locust... the black locust I have glistens in the sun as you turn the pen.. really pretty wood.. and I agree to the hardness.. you want a real treat try turning a bowl from a piece of bone dry black locust... can you say CONCRETE.. [:p]

dubdrvrkev

Thanks everybody.

Tom, Yes it does have some chatoyance. It is in the second picture where you see a little swirl near the nib end and travels along the that edge. I have a few other black locust blanks (not burl) that I have yet to turn, maybe they will make their way to the top of the stack now. But they are behind some myrtlewood I have in process. This burl came from Dario BTW you ought to try some.

alamocdc

Nice job, Kevin. I just got my cigars in from BB yesterday and haven't had a chance to get to them yet. SWMBO has had me running all day. [:(] Thanks to you and a post from the last day or so, I know to be extra careful with things like burrs on these.

Dario

Kevin,

If I knew you liked black locust burl that much...I would have included some in your last batch of pen blank order. I promise next time!!! [:I]

I agree with the chatoyance...figured or burl black locust seems to be the best on that category (from what I've tried). They are almost "holographic".

dubdrvrkev

It does have a semi-gloss look to it. Finishing this stuff was a PITA. Nothing wanted to stick to it, so my normal [?] method was out the window. That is one of the reasons I am not real excited about machining the other root I have.

dubdrvrkev

Mike, You can have the blanks that I already have cut (1 pen worth) but there is a huge void in one, feel like trying some inlace. Or if you want to machine some blanks from the other root I have, I am willing to part with some of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom