Manu Propria Pens - Same-Nuri

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

"Same" in the west known as Galuchat, Pearl Ray Skin
This is a very difficult and time consuming lacquer technique.
Round pads are cut from a pearl ray skin and glued on the pen body with urushi. After 5 days of well drying many, up to 100 layers of transparent
"sakari-urushi" is applied, one layer after the other, always keeping in mind,
that every layer has to dry over a period of 24 hours. Finally the surface is ground flat and polished. The group of roll stopper snails are built in high relief "takamaki-e" technique with urushi and matal powders

Enjoy weekend

Martin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 228
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 208
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 229
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 171
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Martin,
Your other pens as well as this one are absolutely beautiful!...Stunning!
Not only your finish and what is buried beneath the finish but the craftsmanship, patience and dedication to the finished product speaks volumes. To me, these are museum quality writing instruments.
I would feel the need for the white gloves to even pick one up although I am imagining the lustrous feel as I write this!

Thank you for sharing your creations with us. It is a nice way to start the day!

bushwacked

I didnt understand much of what you said ... besides that it sounds like its tons of work to do.

However that is a jaw dropping pen there!!!

SteveG

Martin, you are both artfully accomplished AND prolific in your pen designs. I am loving that small grouping of snails for roll inhibiting, as they add so much to the basic design!
So nice.

stuckinohio

I agree with Mal. I think this is my favorite so far. The colors are fantastic. We need to get one of these in the IAP collection so people can see them in real life!

Top Bottom