Manu Propria Pens - Pen and Pen Stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

Over the weekend I have finished a set of two pens and a pen stand for a customer in Japan who is running an art gallery in Tokyo. He has ordered a pen "Daishô". A "daishô" is called a set of long sword "katana" and short sword "wakizashi" worn by the Samurai. The urushi lacquer is called "Hon-Negoro" or "true" Negoro and it is made to look like old Negoro ware from the "Negoro-Ji", Negoro Temple that was active between 12th to 16th century. I also made a matching pen stand for the two pens, made from a piece of wood also lacquered Negoro. Negoro lacquer has recently become very popular among art collectors not only in Japan.

Best regards,

Martin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 293
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Absolutely marvelous craftsmanship on this pen set!
I so enjoy seeing your creations and finishes.
Thanks for sharing these with us!

leehljp

Member Liaison
I used to have a pen holder similar to that (but not lacquered) made by a Japanese friend, artist and art teacher and woodworker in Osaka. He made it out of kokutan (black wood) from persimmon. He had several rare solid black persimmon (kaki) boards and used that. I don't know what happened to my pen holder as it got lost in a move from Japan to the USA.

Beautiful work!

manupropria

Thank you very much. Hank Lee, what a petty. I imagin that pen stands made from fine wood would be very nice as well.
I just picked up some well dried wood with nice surface structure in the forest around the corner

Top Bottom