Manu Propria Pens - Iro-Ishihada Urushi

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

Completed today a collection of "Miyabi Shibui" type pens with 6 different "Iro-Ishi-hada" urushi finish, Midori = green, Ao = blue, Murasaki = purple, Aka = red, Ki = yellow, Shiroi = white (Ivory)

Enjoy Weekend

Martin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 304
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 273
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 201
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Lynch

You sure do know how to make a guy jealous of your skills.Makes me strive to better my own.Thanks for showing your beautiful works.

Skie_M

Ha! Excellent!

I'm still slowly learning Japanese by watching Anime ... but I knew blue was Ao or Aoi. I also know that Aku, Akuma mean demon or demonic, but also has ties to the color red ...

I also wonder if the Russian word for Shark is derived from the Japanese word for Demon ... Akula ?

leehljp

Member Liaison
Ha! Excellent!

I'm still slowly learning Japanese by watching Anime ... but I knew blue was Ao or Aoi. I also know that Aku, Akuma mean demon or demonic, but also has ties to the color red ...

I also wonder if the Russian word for Shark is derived from the Japanese word for Demon ... Akula ?

Skie, there are regions and and exceptions to the rule when the Romaji (Roman letter) vowel sound will change. I was taught the root for "white" in Tokyo (and in general across Japan) was "shiro" (しろ) but I saw "shira"(しら)as the root more commonly when I moved to Osaka (Nara-shi area). Shiroi is the word for white but the i (い)is usually dropped when attached to another word. Red - aka has some similar variances in uncommon situations.

When learning the language from anime, be careful. Among young people, you can get by with it, but around adults, bosses, supervisors and elders, they won't let you know (unless a teacher/Sensei is present :rolleyes:) but they will take strong offense. And you won't know that until you want to make some kind of a deal and they refuse.

Humorous side note: An American who became a good friend and whose wife was Japanese (they met and married in a large US city) visited with us regularly because we spoke English to him. He learned Japanese from his wife and her parents while living with them for a year (a block from our home.) One day we had about 15 Japanese guests in our home, and my friend and his wife were there also. Of course 90% of all conversation was in Japanese. Suddenly my friend decided to join in - in Japanese. EVERYONE burst out laughing except his wife who turned several shades of red. He was speaking an "in home, between family" dialect that was considered rude in public. But he didn't know that. However everyone else knew it. Sensei's will not dare teach that form.
Speaking Anime in public is somewhat like that to anyone except young people.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
Martin,

When my pens grow up, I hope they will look like yours!

Pure Art!

By the way, how did the Ginza sale do?

Last edited:

manupropria

Thank you very much.

Ishime-ji is the traditional term for stone surface imitatinglacquer techniques. Hereby colored dry lacquer powder is sprinkled into wet lacquer of same color. For black ishime-ji there are many other techniques with metal powders, charcoal and so on. After drying it is slightly ground and polished. Ishihada-nuri is my creation. Hereby heavily pigmented drylacquer powder is sprinkled into wet black "shôen-urushi".Several layers of shôen-urushi is applied and ground quite flat and polished. Shôen-urushi or "haguro-nuri" is a lacquer pigmented with pine carbon or lamp black. This lacquer will stay black forever, while normal black lacquer like "kuro-urushi" or "roiro-urushi" turns into a brownish color with the decades

Pierre---

Gorgeous really!
Martin, I wonder how the tiny ring is attached to the cap, it seems there is no place for a tenon?

Last edited:

OZturner

Martin, You have again, made me run out of Suitable Superlatives,
Your Collection of Pens, is Mind Blowing.
Perfect Harmony, with Sublime Proportions, and Profiles,
Your Gold Ring on the Caps, are Fine, and Sedate, but Just Right for the Pens.
Your Finishes are Magnificent, I love the sight, of a slight, Complimenting Colour Sparkling deep withing the Finish.
Have you been and Displayed your Pens, in Japan? or are these some for that Occasion?
They are a Pleasure and Joy to Behold.
Thank you for Sharing your Master Craftsmanship.
Brian.

I can't say anything about your pens that hasn't already been said, other than: Am I the only one that hopes to see a new SOYP thread from you every time I login? Your work is masterful.

Skie_M

Oh yes ... I know and understand that there are various levels of formality in the japanese spoken language, as well as dialects between regions ...

The Kansai region being pointed out most often as having a "homey, back woods," arkansas or tennessee type of tilt to it, compared to normal english. The situation you just described with the 15 Japanese guests and your friend would be like some hillbilly just wandered into a board room meeting and started spouting off ... It's hilarious, if it's not a situation that requires good protocol.

Japanese is one of the few spoken languages I've heard of that has at least three levels of address ... High formality - used in speaking with royalty and very important figures (like a lowly salaryman addressing the business CEO), middle formality - used in speaking with your own boss and with highly respected peers, like an elder student at the same school (senpai), low formality - used in speaking with those who's standing is lower than yours, like a younger student at the same school (kouhai), and then there's the common address that I've seen, when you actually desire to act rude towards someone or you are from an area that simply talks that way and you never learned better - used in low places like bars, addressing brats in the street, or talking down to someone several teirs below your status.

When speaking with someone who is Japanese in person, I always let them know that I learned the Japanese that I do know from anime in order to prepare them in advance, and I also let them know that I am very willing to accept corrections and learn more.

manupropria

Thank you for your to kind kind comments.
Pierre: The rings are fitted to the cap after the pen is completely finished. It is a decorative element but also to stabilize the cap.
OZturner: my pens are displayed and sold by Ito-Ya Ginza Tokyo since November 2016. I will fly to Tokyo next week and have lunch with Mr. Ito to discuss plans for 2017
Skye_M: also interesting in Japanese language the sound-picturesquely aspect by using On readings (音読み) and Kun readings (訓読み).
Words are often chosen to sound nice in combination.

For example Furô, Murô, Burô is the drying chamber used to cure urushi lacquer. If you say Furô it is fine but the combined word is urushi-murô or urushi-burô because it sounds smoother

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 152
Top Bottom