Manu Propria Pens - "Aka-Tame-Raden-Nuri"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

Today I finished a "Miyabi Futô" type fountainpen with a special urushi lacquer, called "Aka-Tame-Raden-Nui".
Aka = red, Tame = transparent final coat, Raden = mother of pearl, Nuri = lacquer.
The ground lacquer is "shû" red in which large mother of pearl flakes are inlaid. After polishing, 35 coats of transparent urushi has been applied, then polished. The urushi will become more transparent with the years and more of the raden bling will be released.

Cheers,

Martin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 180
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 193
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 198
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 136
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beautifully done and great explanation! 35 coats. I think most people do not understand the discipline of the Japanese, or you. Well done!

Last edited:

WIDirt

OK, this one made me reply.

I have seen all of your urushi pens, and they are all gorgeous! However, this one really "popped" for me. The lines are so clean, and the subtle red glints just make this, in my opinion, your best one yet.

Wow.

cdirto

OZturner

Absolutely Brilliant Martin.
Perfect Profile, Ideal Minute Center-band on Cap, that Subtly Defines the Cap to Body Join.
But the Pinnacle is the Brilliant Red Spot, of the Mother of Pearl, Glowing through the layers and layers of Urushi.
See you even have me using your Terminology and Names.
Sublime Fit and Finish,
Congratulations, seems so Inadequate.
Brian.

thewishman

I love the pen, now! It's hard to imagine that it would keep getting prettier.

Do you have a rough idea of how many years it would take for the urishi to reach its peak of transparency? Does handling the pen speed up the process?

Not trying to get nosey, just curious.:)

Skie_M

I notice that your pictures are taken with very nice quality light ... I wonder, however, if using much brighter direct light would allow someone to see "deeper" into the pen's finish so that they can see the details that will come to light over time. I'm sure that many of us would enjoy seeing how your pens may look several years down the road! :)

manupropria

Thank you for your comments.
It needs at least 30 layers of urushi. Each layer maybe 0.01 mm and each layer has to harden over a period of 24 hours, so it takes at least 30 days to make a pen.

Photographs: it is not easy to make professional pictures of this kind of pens and lacquer and actually I don't have the time to put into each photo. I make quite many pens. Important for "marketing purpose" is that there is a "corporate visual" by means that the pictures have strong recognizability which I try to reach with same way of light and the use of the "edamame"

Top Bottom