Manu Propria - Aka-Ishimeji-Nuri

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from manupropria

manupropria

One for the weekend, a fountain pen with a urushi finish called "ishime-ji-nuri", stone-surface-lacquer.
In Japanese culture, art and craft, stones have always played an important role.
Stones have been highly appreciated for their quality "shitsu" shape "katachi", colors "iro", surface structures "hada-ai".
Stones have been used to create wonderful gardens and have been collected in rivers around Japan just for aesthetic purposes.
Stone surfaces or "ishimeji" you can find on all kind of things like cast iron tea brazers and pots and you can find ishimeji on countless lacquer objects.
Ceramic glaces are related to stones, fo example the color and surface structure of "bizen" ceramic is compared to "kurama-ishi", stones found in the Kurama-River, black raku ceramic represent the jet-black glace and color of "kurama-ishi", stones from Kurama-River and "kamuikotan-ishi", stones from Hokkaido.
Red "aka-ishimeji" refers to "Sado-Akadama-Ishi", red jasper stones found on Sado-Island.
There is a Japanese art form called "suiseki", the art of stone appreciation.
Those interested in this unique art can download a e-book I have written several years ago, "Suiseki and the unique view on Nature in Japan"
Suiseki and the unique view on Nature in Japan - News - welcome

Enjoy weekend

Martin

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 151
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 138
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 123
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Your pens are magnificent! I also want to thank you again for taking the time to share your finishing technique(s). The only "problem" I have with viewing your pens, is having to look at mine :).

thewishman

I always really like that your sections are finished in the same way as the barrels of your pens. That makes your pens stand out.

Thank you for explaining your techniques and processes. I enjoy learning new things.:)

Top Bottom