Mandatory First Pen Post

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tn-Steve

Tn-Steve

Yes, it's my first real pen... I'm not counting the one I made at the "Make A Pen" Class, since it was just for learning. I "THINK" the wood is Cedar, it was rather soft, and had a rather pleasant smell as I turned it. (Added with edit). I have looked and cedar doesn't seem to be a wood that gets mentioned often. If it's any help, the blank was one of 5 in Woodcrafts starter set, so any help identifying it would be a big help. Now I'm thinking it might possibly be bubinga...

The finish is CA and BLO, wet sanded very very lightly thru all the grades, and then hit with some plastic polish on the lathe. It was looking better before I MM and polished it with plastic polish. It had a deeper gloss, and I really couldn't see any scratches in the finish.

One thing I did with the BLO was to just keep working the paper towel with the BLO on it back and forth across the pen as the CA (MED) cooked off. It seemed to work, I may have messed up the MM somehow

It's a little off at the center band, but I'm not totally unhappy with it. See what kind of reaction it gets tomorrow at work.

Any comments, are of course, appreciated.

Steve W.

Attachments

• FirstPen2.jpg
    FirstPen2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 188
  • FirstPen1.jpg
    FirstPen1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Definitely cedar looking from here.
Here's a tip .. look for the ones that have knots in them and turn carefully.
When you oil the wood near the knots, you'll get bright pink, purple, red,
gold, yellow, brown black .. it'll surprise you.
Also, you might pay the same for a plank as you would for a few blanks.

Get it to your table saw or band saw and cut it so you get some good
figure in the blanks. I just cut 4 board feet to get 15 great blanks for the
bash.

Save the wood chips and throw them in a little cloth bag. Put those in your
sock drawer or hang in your closet. Moths hate it and you get that nice
cedar smell. For that matter, shops charge $5 for a little 4x4 bag of it..
You could get all your money back AND get free blanks :biggrin:

Gagler

I have a lot of cedar, and that looks like cedar to me - I think they make nice looking pens with all of the colors and figuring near the knots, etc.

Your first pen looks real good and it is a whole lot better than mine. Keep it handy, and compare it to what you're producing a year or more from now.

Top Bottom