Mandarinfish-inspired CopperSilk Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

I was watching one of these fabulous little guys (Mandarinfish, Synchiropus splendidus, Australia/Western Pacific) at the CA Academy of Sciences:

attachment.php

Tiny light bulb lit up - how about some penimitation (highest form of flattery)?

Steps:
Shibori-dyed some 8 momme Chinese habotai silk with Jacquard silk dyes; then steam fixed the silk in parchment packets.
Cut some acetone-washed copper foil strips; then painted them with Pebeo Vitrail paints, dried for a week.
Adhered the painted copper foil to the dyed silk to make malleable fibro-metallic composites.
Accordion-folded the copper-silk strips, then punched 7.1mm holes through them.
"Threaded" the strips onto sanded and surface-textured Vitrail-painted brass tubes; folded the serpentine strips in a random way.
Tube-in cast the blanks with Douglas and Sturgess PR at 50 psi.
Turned and finished them as usual:

attachment.php

Happy Sunday to all - Bob

PS: I took some pix along the way - glad to post if there's some interest in this little technique.

Attachments

• MandarinFish,SynchiropusSplendidus.jpg
    MandarinFish,SynchiropusSplendidus.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 537
  • MandarinfishQuartet,markison,2018,800px.jpg
    MandarinfishQuartet,markison,2018,800px.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 492
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Another Incredible Technique Expounded, by The Master of Innovation, Bob of San Francisco.
I read your, what I am sure is an Abridged Process, several times and I am in Complete Confused Awe.
Disregarding, my Inadequacies in Matters Artistic, General and Specific, (that sounds like something that Gilbert and Sullivan, would have used), Bob you have presented yet another Incredible Unique Process for the Adornment of your Pens.
The Results are Absolutely Brilliant,
Continuing Congratulations, yet again My Friend.
Brian.

Bob in SF

Humble thanks for the kind words Ankur, Pete, Cody, Brian, Charlie, Wayne, and Scott!

And thanks to all forumites who've looked and liked.

This was a fun foray with room for further exploration.

These pix illustrate the key steps:

attachment.php

attachment.php

No fish were harmed in the production of these pens.

Warm regards to all - more fun ahead (as always) - Bob

Attachments

• ClampShibori,markison,2018,900px.jpg
    ClampShibori,markison,2018,900px.jpg
    613.7 KB · Views: 342
  • MandarinfishSteps,markison,2018,900px.jpg
    MandarinfishSteps,markison,2018,900px.jpg
    354.4 KB · Views: 351

Bob in SF

Another Incredible Technique Expounded, by The Master of Innovation, Bob of San Francisco.
I read your, what I am sure is an Abridged Process, several times and I am in Complete Confused Awe.
Disregarding, my Inadequacies in Matters Artistic, General and Specific, (that sounds like something that Gilbert and Sullivan, would have used), Bob you have presented yet another Incredible Unique Process for the Adornment of your Pens.
The Results are Absolutely Brilliant,
Continuing Congratulations, yet again My Friend.
Brian.

A world of thanks, Friend!!

dpstudios

Absolutely stunning Bob. Your work continues to amaze and inspire me. Thank you for the process pictures.

Dan
Sinistre Pens

Yet another absolutely beautiful set of pens Bob! I've said it before but this only makes me wonder even more: Is there no end to your creativity? Wonderful job on these ones, as usual.

Bob in SF

Sincere thanks for your kind words, Jay!

It's a continuous quest - like a hike over new trails - fresh vistas.

For me it's also very musical.

I was lucky to meet Louis Armstrong when I was an aspiring jazz musician in NYC in the 1960's. He was very kind when I asked him to define jazz; and without missing a beat he answered: "it's the story once told and never again." I'll never forget that, and that's why all jazz musicians refer to him as "Pops" - a true father of creative adventure.

Warm regards, Friend - Bob

Top Bottom