Mammoth Tooth, Triton really tough stuff.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

A friend of mine was talking to me about two months ago when the last issue of Pen World came out and I was telling him about a Mammoth Tooth pen I saw in there. Well he informed me that he had two Mammoth Tooth knife scales that he had bought and had not used them for a knife that he was restoring, and asked me if I could make him a Pen instead. I told him that I would be willing to try anything once, but not to be in a hurry because I would have to take my time. So he brought me the scales and the first thing noticed was that they were very brittle and had cracks all over them and the were very hard. the first thing I did was epoxy them to a piece of black diamond wood for a backing to stabilize them. I used a metal cutting band saw to split one of them in two then used a piece of blue diamond wood as an accent to join them together to make a blank. I then encased the blank with strips of maple and epoxy to give it support during drilling, I even capped the ends with wood. I drilled the blank 1/64" at a time starting with a 1/4", the cap took 14 steps and body took 12 steps. I had to use carbide tipped tools to turn it, I got a few flakes but mostly it came off like powder. I started sanding at 320, then 400, 500 and 600 then buffed for the final finish. During turning I soaked it three times with thin CA because I found some small voids in the tooth. I gave it to my friend today and he was overwhelmed with the way it turned out. This is the toughest and hardest stuff I have ever tried to turn to date. Oh yea he said I could keep the other scale for me. :biggrin:
Thanks for looking, comments welcome.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC08318.jpg
    DSC08318.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,108
  • DSC08320.jpg
    DSC08320.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,363
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

K-9 Man

Awesome pen!! I really enjoy seeing pens made out of unique material. Good job and thanks for explaining how you made it. Your technique will assist me in using some of the left over big horn sheep horn I have left which looks like it could be a thin knife scale.

Ernie

maxman400

Awesome pen!! I really enjoy seeing pens made out of unique material. Good job and thanks for explaining how you made it. Your technique will assist me in using some of the left over big horn sheep horn I have left which looks like it could be a thin knife scale.

Ernie
If you have any questions just send me a PM and I will be glad to try and help if I can.

fitty

Amazing pen! Will definitely have to give it a try.

I used mammoth tooth in one of my PITH pens but destroyed the first piece when drilling so decided to use the other piece to make it a closed end. Attached some photos for those that missed it.

Attachments

• image-862643244.jpg
    image-862643244.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 159
  • image-2200349810.jpg
    image-2200349810.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 147

maxman400

Amazing pen! Will definitely have to give it a try.

I used mammoth tooth in one of my PITH pens but destroyed the first piece when drilling so decided to use the other piece to make it a closed end. Attached some photos for those that missed it.
That gives me a couple of ideas for the left overs. :rolleyes:

redneckmedic

I wish when folks did a very complicated project they would take more pictures of the steps involved or video and explain what and why they do each step. I really had a tough time following what the OP did with backing woods and striping and all.

Very nice production, a true artist.

Top Bottom