Mammoth tooth

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alejanders

Alejanders

Friends, I want show somehting that you have never seen before.
It is a pen from mammoth tusk (molar).

Attachments

• DSC_0380.jpg
    DSC_0380.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,906
  • DSC_0381.jpg
    DSC_0381.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,438
  • DSC_0383.jpg
    DSC_0383.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 724
  • DSC_0384.jpg
    DSC_0384.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,021
  • DSC_0385.jpg
    DSC_0385.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 663
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alejanders

maxman400, sorry I thought my pen is first here.
It seems that "my" tooth is in better condition, that is why enamel and dentine is much more contrast.
But regardless of that, tooth is VERY brittle and chips out very easily.
I spent three hours to make one blank. And it was read headache to drill it. Drill bit grows blunt very fast and overheaten it. Blank cracked few times and I secured it with rag soaked with CA.
And turning... Was real torture. But I love result. At last it is better then Montblanс. :)

maxman400

maxman400, sorry I thought my pen is first here.
No worries about that. LOL When I did mine I Glued wood strips on all four sides of the blank and after cutting it to tube size I capped the ends with wood also. I started drilling with a 1/4" bit and progressed 1/64" at a time until I reached my tube size. :)

Alejanders

mikespenturningz, tooth is much more hard and brittle then antler. HSS chisel dulls very fast, so you may use carbide chisel or sandpaper.

Curly, you are right. Thank you.

wiset1

I've seen a couple of these between the IAP and the William Henry site, so not really and overall first, but then again...it's difficult to come up with anything around this site that hasn't been tried at least once. You have to remember the turners here are very inquisitive and will put just about ANYTHING in or on a pen, ha ha ha.

When I was in Burma I was going to buy a couple of the teeth in a local shop, but they saw tourist prices in their eyes and I had to walk away. You've done a great job with the material and I'm sure it was a difficult task to drill and finish. It is basically stone.

Great looking pen!

OOPS...I see Peter (Curly) noted the William Henry site already.

Last edited:

elody21

This is truly beautiful! !!!!!!!
But, I am having trouble seeing the tusk in this pen. I am familiar with the make up of a mammoth tusk and I do not see a typical tusk structure here. Is this petrified tusk with other material? A mammoth tusk grows similar to a tree in that it has layers of material. If a tusk was cut one could see the rings, but they are very close together.
I am not doubting that it is made of tusk, I am just confused.
Also, at least in the experience I have had, tusk in general is very sweet to turn so I assume that this is petrified?? I have worked with both mammoth and walrus tusk in the past.
It is a very beautiful pen I just wish you could give us some history as to where this piece of material came from etc..
I have not been on the site much lately so maybe you explained this already in an earlier post.
Alice

yaroslaw

elody21, as far as it's written here, it's not a TUSK, it's a TOOTH. Hence the difference in appearance, structure and strength.

Alexander, beautiful pen. I've seen some pieces of mammoth tooth, even stabilized, on knife show we visited together in Moscow, but I wouldn't thought you would make a pen from that stuff:)

Alejanders

Thank you for explaination, yaroslaw.

Mammoth tusk consist of dentine mainly with no enamel.
But one tooth (mammoth had 4 teeth totally) consists from enamel scales with dentine inside and between.

Look at photos bellow. It is unprocessed tooth and its upper layer pieces after polishing.

Attachments

• DSC_0329.jpg
    DSC_0329.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0361.jpg
    DSC_0361.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 166
  • DSC_0362.jpg
    DSC_0362.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC_0363.jpg
    DSC_0363.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 172
  • DSC_0364.jpg
    DSC_0364.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 183

Jgrden

:rotfl:That is pretty darned nice. How many drinks did you have before you wrestled the mammoth for its tooth? Are you okay? You misunderstood the instructions. You were suppose to wrestle the bar maid and shoot the mammoth.

dom1971

Hello All, I have perfected a drilling method without heat or cracking. Here are some recent pens. Happily will supply these.

Lucky2

Why are people always bringing back old postings like this one, wouldn't it be just as easy to start a new one? This one is from 2013, it must have taken some time searching to find it. And what has brought it back to the forefront, doesn't seem to make much sense to me. It seems to be off topic, please excuse my ignorance.
Len

Top Bottom