Mammoth Ivory pen for Dad

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from pen-turners

Status
Not open for further replies.

pen-turners

This pen took me about 2 hours to turn (or at least it felt like it). I made sure to leave extra and sand to final shape so as not to heat up the ivory and crack it. Hopefully it stays intact!!!!

2004122994729_IMG_5445.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Very classy, Chris. I understand it is heat that causes problems with ivory, just like ebony. Did you put anything on it? I have heard that mineral oil can be used to preserve it.

Efletche

Like the pen. Where did you get the Mammoth Ivory and how expensive was it?

woodpens

That's a beauty, Chris! I love working with ivory, but haven't had much success keeping them from cracking whether it be during assembly or three months afterwards. Mammoth ivory can be purchased from www.ivoryworksltd.com. It costs about $75 for 5/8" blanks (enough to make one pen).

Well, I just tried the link, but it is currently not working. The company now calls themselves Banyan Bay, but I don't know if they have created a new website or not.

pen-turners

Thanks all!! I got the ivory from Ivory Works like mentioned above. As for cracking, we'll have to see. The pen does not have any polish on it except for a couple layers of RenWax to protect. It still actually stinks like Mammoth if you can imagine what a mammoth probably smelled like!!!!!

Chris

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've not worked with mammoth yet, but I can tell you that it's more current cousin, elephant ivory, is also prone to cracking. The primary cause is dehydration. For the ivory I have used, I make sure I moisten it about 4 times a year with plain water on a damp sponge. I've had no cracking of the pieces since I started this. BTW, if you are going to try the moisture route, it is best to not put a finish on elephant ivory. I can't say for sure if this is true with mammoth.

Fred in NC

Lou: That is what I understand too. The problem, in my opinion, is that when you sell or give away an ivory pen, you have no control of what they will do with it. So, making sure it gets moistened could easily be forgotten.

I have heard of using mineral oil for the same purpose, but don't have any experience with it.

I have a mammoth blank, but I am very hesitant to make a pen out of it for that reason.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Type up a special instruction card, Fred. Something along the lines of this. Anyone who is paying big bucks for a mammoth or elephant ivory pen is unlikely to abuse it.

Do not leave your ivory pen in an automobile. Extremes in temperature will cause cracks in the ivory.

Clean your ivory pen with a soft, clean cloth dampened with water only.

Keep your pen stored where the humidity is high. A cigar humidor is an excellent storage container. Alternatively, you may store your pen in a small plastic container, like the one your pen came in, with a piece of damp sponge.

Wax your pen regularly with a good natural wax such as carnauba. Do not use car care products as they often contain abrasives and/or silicone which are harmful to your pen.

Of course, instead of carnauba, I now recommend my stuff. [:D]

KKingery

That's what I call a high dollar blank! It is beautiful though......might be quite awhile before I'm good enough to try ivory - I'd probably crack it just by lookin at at the wrong way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom