Mammoth Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tanner

Tanner

I was invited to a Super Bowl Party at a Paleontologists house. He is a son-in law of a friend of mine. I told my friend I would make a nice pen for his son-in-law for having the party. There is going to be 150 or more people there.[:0] So for putting up with all of us, I figured I would make him something nice. At least I hope it’s nice enough.[:I] I had Ken at Kallenshaan Woods do the engraving on the box. I think the box looks awesome.:D It’s an Emperor Jr.. The Mammoth has some real interesting coloring, some faintly darker areas. I really took my time with it, taking the tools to the Jet Wet Sharpener a couple times per blank. Drilling 1/8 inch, then another, then letting everything cool down. All performed on a Paul Huffman Vise. Awesome craftsmanship on that vise.:D I did all the lathe work without a mandrel, using johnnycnc’s bushings, dead and live centers. His stuff is amazing, perfectly fitting and perfectly round barrels.:D I got the Mammoth from a guy in Tucson, AZ. He sells on Ebay. I’ve heard of Mammoth cracking with changes in humidity or temperature. I’m thinking it will be fine as we have the same humidity and temperature here in Phoenix as Tucson where it was cut. I turned it a week ago and it still looks fine. To keep the pen looking good, I’ll give him a Polishing Kit I purchased from Chris (cd18524).:D Anyway, as you can see, I made this pen with a lot of help from many people on this site. So, thanks everyone! It’s too bad Ed (ed4copies) didn’t have Mammoth Ivory, or I would have purchased that from him.[8D]

20082264227_Emperor%20Mammoth%20Ivory.jpg

20082264416_Mammoth%20Pen%20Box.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Beautiful work or art! I think I would be tempted to keep it! :D

If anyone wants to know how to make a great pen, I would say to just look at what you did in the making of this pen. A great example of the care, thought and planning for a desired goal.

VisExp

Very nice! Your choice of the mammoth ivory to a paleontologist is a great touch.

I bet you'll get an invitation to next years party :D

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Every so often a pen is posted that is truly exceptional. This is one of those rare times. I believe your gift exceeds, by several-fold, what you are receiving.

Frank nailed it!!!

WOW!

jhs494

Tim that is a very nice gift! I am sure your host will be very pleased. I don't think you will ever have to worry about where you will watch the game. Next year how do you top this?:D

Great work, and thank you for sharing it with us.

Tanner

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I wish I was going to the game. We went to the NFL Experience yesterday at the stadium. It was awesome. I had Michael Bennett, who was the running back for the Vikings, now with the Buccs, call my cousin. They had a Sprint Phone a Friend booth there. You could have a football player call a friend. Lots of stars there. I waited for Bennett as we are Viking fans. My cousin called me back and said he was in the Field of Dreams store at the Mall of America in Minneapolis when Michael called him. It couldn’t have worked out better. We talked to Carson Palmer, Keyshawn Johnson, Sage Rosenfels, took close pictures of Joe Montana, Bettis, Brady Quinn, Fred Taylor, Derrick Brooks, etc. My brother and our sons had a great day.

Absolutley amazing Tim,

I love the look of that kit with the Ivory, and your process sounds excellent. I turn the Jr Emps with the alternative ivory from CS, yours has much more character and tactile look, nice.

Now all you have to worry about is he an invert. or vert. paleontogist.. ;)

I can imagine that pen with an 18k fp nib as well, that would be classic!!

bitshird

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Every so often a pen is posted that is truly exceptional. This is one of those rare times. I believe your gift exceeds, by several-fold, what you are receiving.
What Frank and Ed said!!!!

Nickfff

Wow! very nice pen! Can you share more info on the source? i.e. ebay id/ebay store name etc? Thanks...

Tanner

Sure, his store on Ebay is Ice Age Fossils. His ID is igorg440. The last email I recieved from him said he would be gone for the month of February because of some show he had to attend. He said he would be back in March. He said he cuts everything himself. If you contact him, he will cut pieces to your liking. It's expensive stuff, but worth it for a beautiful pen. I kept all my shavings in a sandwich bag. I bet I could make a pen with all the shavings I have.[:0] The one thing I did not like was that he did not give any kind of Certificate of Authenticity. Most sellers make their own certs up anyway.

Top Bottom