Mallee Burl on a Churchill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

I think I must have a good supply of pen blanks now because I don't know what I have anymore. I was going to do some organizing in the shop so I could assess what I have and came across a few mallee burls. I failed to write down if this was red or brown mallee. I think it is red. None the less, I stopped the organization idea and decided to turn this nice looking mallee burl. The pen is a Churchill. Thanks for looking. If you can tell from pictures if it is a red mallee or brown let me know.

Attachments

• ChurchillMalleeBurl.jpg
    ChurchillMalleeBurl.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 267
  • ChurchillMalleeBurl4.jpg
    ChurchillMalleeBurl4.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 264
  • ChurchillMalleeBurl2.jpg
    ChurchillMalleeBurl2.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
It is! :eek: Hee Hee, Don't feel bad, I do the same thing. :biggrin: Sorry, got too busy being a smart a$$ I forgot to tell you how much I like your pen. Very Nice!!!:wink:

I think I must have a good supply of pen blanks now because I don't know what I have anymore. I was going to do some organizing in the shop so I could assess what I have and came across a few mallee burls. I failed to write down if this was red or brown mallee. I think it is red. None the less, I stopped the organization idea and decided to turn this nice looking mallee burl. The pen is a Churchill. Thanks for looking. If you can tell from pictures if it is a red mallee or brown let me know.

Last edited:

MikeL

Thanks for the positive comments. It must be a red brown mallee... :wink:

BEAUTIFUL PEN, mind sharing your secret to picture taking, WOW !!!

As for the photos, thanks for the compliment but I don't have anything fancy. I use a photo box and my cell phone camera. I am pretty sure the photo box construction came from the library. It is just a card board box with three windows cut out, tracing paper for light diffuser, and three bright lights. I do edit the color levels to make black true black and gray true gray. The program does it automatically.

OZturner

It doesn't matter if it is Brown or Red.
IT IS BEAUTIFUL.
Your Fit and Finish are perfect.
Your choice of a Mallee Burl and Churchill Pen is "Spot On".
Topped off with Terrific Photographs.
It doen't get much better than this.
Brian

PenPal

Mike, Beautiful Pen with a masterful finish looks like two different pen tops there anyway please find this pic of Brown Mallee Blanks, Red Box Burl and Red Mallee. Look at your other blanks. Looks like red to me.

Close up pic of Brown Mallee burl slice for a Pen Box.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0015-154.JPG
    DSCF0015-154.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 126
  • DSCF0004.JPG
    DSCF0004.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 103

philb

Very nice and great finish!

Definitely redder than brown mallee. If I would of guessed, I'd have gone for Honduras Rosewood Burl not Mallee at all!
Great Pen

MikeL

Again, thanks for the comments.

Mike, Beautiful Pen with a masterful finish looks like two different pen tops there anyway please find this pic of Brown Mallee Blanks, Red Box Burl and Red Mallee. Look at your other blanks. Looks like red to me.

Close up pic of Brown Mallee burl slice for a Pen Box.

Kind regards Peter.

Peter, thanks for the pictures. Beautiful figure on that wood. I am now convinced it is red mallee. Thank you, Mike

Top Bottom