Malachite Cambridge, sort of...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rsmith

rsmith

Had a few parts leftover so I put this one together. So much gold on the hybrid version of the kit this is from just looked too gaudy (even more than it already does:rolleyes:), so I put some black components from a churchill on to tone it down a little. Definatley not my favorite kit in the world, but someone will like it...I'm always amazed...
Malachite Tru-Stone mm12000 and hut plastic polish. Thanks for looking and as always, any feedback welcomed.
1_Malachite_cambridge_2817_email.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Warning..... Honest feedback!

Mixing the black plastic parts in with the heavily embelleshed metal parts makes it look too mixed. I would prefer either gawdy or plain but not "plain gawdy"! I think the malachite is classy looking and would have looked nicer with the all plated parts. Actually, of the few of these kits I have seen, I have always thought just the black plastic centerband itself cheapened the overall look.

When I first saw the emperor kit I thought.... no way would I ever make one of those gawdy pens let alone sell any! Well, after making one for myself to get the feel of it, it is my favorite pen to carry around and I have probably sold more emperors than any other kit I sell...... despite the bling! People like bling! :)

That kit was not designed without a lot of thought being put into its look!

Kaspar

Also, honest feedback. I think I like the changes. They work with that color. I'd say you achieved the perfect adumbration of the kit you were seeking. In doing so, you have drawn attention to the warmth of Berea's Titanium Gold and the brilliance of their Sterling Silver. You also made that extremely out-of-place black band at the bottom of the centerband actually work for once. (I hate that thing, I turn it down and cover it with something else every time I do one of those. It just does not work.) I'm not sure what else this mixing and matching would work with, but with the malachite, I think you made a good, or at least, justifiable choice.

I may have to try that, though I hate throwing away anything, especially parts from an expensive kit.

Last edited:

rsmith

George, thanks for the HONEST feedback, I am certainly one that can take it (thats the best way to improve) and do not necessarily disagree with you. The churchill parts I used, except for the nib were at least enamel, not plastic, but I can see your point. The nice thing is that since they are interchangable, I can always just screw the other parts on when I get some, these were just a few leftovers. For some reason after reading one of your posts on "other" ways to make pens, I seem to have quite a few unused components laying around:wink: Thanks

rsmith

Curious

So out of curiosity I took some other parts and assembled this kit as it should be. Before I put it on display for sale, what do you think? Should I stick with the correct components, or do the black components work? I have to say, I think I'm leaning towards the gold (I didn't have any gold RB nibs), it's hard for me to tell because I just am not a fan of the kit in general
1_Malachite_Cambridge_email.jpg

1_Malachite_cambridge_2817_email.jpg

jskeen

Well, if you want to go with the rb and use the fp nib for something else, I like the black parts to balance it out. With the gold section for the fp, I would go all gold and get rid of that black center band like somebody mentioned. Depends on what you plan to do with the leftover parts. Either one works for me, but whichever combination yields the TWO best looking pens is how I would go, if it was me.

Texatdurango

I think the gold parts with the fountain pen make the pen look so much more regal!

I think if you left the pen assembled as a fountain pen with the gold parts it would command a lot higher price than the rollerball with black parts.

I'm not familiar with how that kit assembles, is it possible to turn away the black portion of the center band and still have the threads engage properly?

PenMan1

I prefer the all gold hardware, but I am a big fan of Berea's Gold finish. I cut a little ring below the center band to hide the black plastic thingy. I like and sell the Cambridge Ultra pretty well because of the "feel" of the pen and the finish. The little black "thing" is just out of place.

Top Bottom