Malachite on Cambridge Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made another one this morning. A Woodcraft Cambridge with Malachite Tru-Stone. Sanded to 600 grit. MM to 12000 followed by HUT plastic polish and a coat of Ren Wax. Comments welcome and, as always, thanks so much for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Malachite Cambridge.jpg
    Malachite Cambridge.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 320
  • Malachite Cambridge_1.jpg
    Malachite Cambridge_1.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 277
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

shawnmhill

Beautiful once again! Great job as always! I love the green. I just may have to copy this one! Need to get together sometime again soon. I am looking forward to seeing your entire collection.

jttheclockman

Right kit for that blank. It looks alot like bakelite. Job well done.

OK have a few questions. I have never used the material. Where did you get it and what is it called by name??? How is it to turn and what are the do's and don'ts ??? Where did you get the kit and is this a nice fitting kit??? Do you need to paint the tubes or the blank and if so what color??I need to try a few highend pens. Thanks for showing.

wizard

OK have a few questions. I have never used the material. Where did you get it and what is it called by name??? How is it to turn and what are the do's and don'ts ??? Where did you get the kit and is this a nice fitting kit??? Do you need to paint the tubes or the blank and if so what color??I need to try a few highend pens. Thanks for showing.

The material is called Tru-Stone and consists of an actual stone and resin mixture. This particular blank is Malachite and was obtained from CSU in 7/8" X 7/8" X 5" blanks. Turning them is very similar to turning acrylic. Need sharp tools. Go slow. The kit is a Cambridge Woodcraft Gold fountain pen with Sterling Silver Accents and is available at Woodcraft stores. I personally like the fit of the kit. It's one of the high end kits from Woodcraft. This particular blank material is opaque enough that there is no need to paint tubes or blanks.

jttheclockman

The material is called Tru-Stone and consists of an actual stone and resin mixture. This particular blank is Malachite and was obtained from CSU in 7/8" X 7/8" X 5" blanks. Turning them is very similar to turning acrylic. Need sharp tools. Go slow. The kit is a Cambridge Woodcraft Gold fountain pen with Sterling Silver Accents and is available at Woodcraft stores. I personally like the fit of the kit. It's one of the high end kits from Woodcraft. This particular blank material is opaque enough that there is no need to paint tubes or blanks.

Thanks. Is that kit the same kit that AS sells called the Cambridge ultra

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Berea_Hardwoods_Pen_Kit_Images_2.htm

wizard

Yes, it is

wizard

Yes, it is

When I looked at the AS link, the prices are not only good but they have different size nibs which Woodcraft does not offer. Regards, Doc

wizard

HUT plastic polish and a coat of Ren Wax

Doc what is HUT plastic polish and Ren Wax? of coarse I have never herd of it and we probably dont have it in New Zealand. What are the benefits of using these for finishing compared to just CA?

Toni, After you finish with the CA, what you have is basically an acrylic or plastic coating on the wood. At that point, with wood, depending on how you apply the CA, there may be areas which are irregular or have ridges. Usually Micro Mesh while wet progressing from 1200 to 12000 smooths the acrylic to a even layer. On acrylic or True-Stone, I only use wet MM to 12000 with no CA finish. The advantages of the HUT Plastic polish is that it helps to remove the finer scratches in plastic and gives the pen a glossy finish. The Renaissance Wax or "Ren Wax" is a organic solvent based wax that is used on top of the Plastic polish as it prevents fingerprints. I hope that answers your question.
By the way, this pen went missing...last time I heard it was headed for ...hmmm I think they said Kiwi Land or something like that. Regards, Doc.:wink:

Last edited:
Top Bottom