Making Memories

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gagler

Gagler

My 8 year old wanted to make some pens as thank you gifts for his Sunday School teachers, so off to the shop we went. You experts out there may look at these and say they are just streamlines, but to me they are priceless: if my son is like me (and every Dad hopes their sons are, but only the good parts), he'll remember the time in the shop with Dad forever - I know I do from when I was little, and I suspect the same holds true for a lot of you.

He was very proud of them as he roughed up and glued in the tubes, and we both turned and polished them up with my hands as a guide. I'm pretty proud of him, too, if you couldn't tell.

The yellow one is yellow heart he picked out from the stash, the purple one is one I got from Constant, and the the cast in the solo picture came from a batch I got from wolftat (Neil).

Thanks for looking (and reading my rambling post)

Michael
Proud Dad

Attachments

• ReedSSPen.jpg
    ReedSSPen.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 189
  • ReedSSPen2.jpg
    ReedSSPen2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

You are right Michael. I'm 66 years old and my Dad has been gone 30 years but I still remember the times together working in the garage. I think the most precious gift my Dad gave me was my love for wood working. Just wish I was good as he was at it.

Tell your son the pens are great. His Sunday School teachers will be very proud.

LarryDNJR

I don't think any pen is "just a pen". They are all special no matter who does them and how they did them. What is important is the fact that one is able to create and be proud of it and share a part of themselves with someone else.

Good job on the pens.

Crashmph

That is wicked cool that you get to share the times like this with your son. He will truly treasure these memories for his lifetime and surely he will want to do the same with his own kids one day.

My folks split when I was young so my only real trait I picked up was BBQing like my dad and his dad. My love for woodworking came from my godfather.

Rfturner

I cherish the time I have spent with my Dad, He has taught me a wide range of skills that I plan on teaching my kids Lord willing I will have some. Those are some great looking pens and GREAT job on passing down woodworking to your son

Rick_G

The pens will be appreciated and your son will be looking forward to the next time in the shop with you.

I didn't have a shop when my kids were growing up as I didn't start woodworking as a hobby until I retired but I do get a little time with my grandchildren in the shop.

louie

3 pen blanks: $15.00
3 Streamline kits: $21.00
3 Black Velvet bags: $1.50
Memories to last the lifetimes of two people: Priceless.

Thanks for a great post Michael.

Oh yeah, you and Mike Jr made some nice pens.

Mark

Beautiful set of pens. Congrats on the quality time with your son. My son is 9 and I wish to God, I'd spent more time with him than I have. Keep it up. They/we remember more than one thinks.

Off to give my son a hug. Later...

Top Bottom