Majestic - White Makume

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JasonC

JasonC

After quite a bit of reading up, I decided to try one of M3 blanks.

When I took this one out of the packaging I found a small crack but went ahead and made a pen. Despite taking forever to drill and making very light passes with the tools, I found more cracks as I went deeper into the blank.

Not sure if it's me or if I just got a bad blank, but here's the end result. Not too happy with this one right now. Might break it down and put a CA finish on it to smooth out the surface. As of now it's sanded, micro-meshed, and polished.

Anyone ever had this happen? Advice:confused:

Attachments

• 10256330_778229072209954_8737199359709427081_n.jpg
    10256330_778229072209954_8737199359709427081_n.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 307
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

As of now it's sanded, micro-meshed, and polished.

never had any problems with the M3 blanks. Odds are the problem is that you sanded, micro-meshed and polished it. Per the instructions, use the polishing compounds that come with it and you will get a beautiful finish...

JasonC

As of now it's sanded, micro-meshed, and polished.

never had any problems with the M3 blanks. Odds are the problem is that you sanded, micro-meshed and polished it. Per the instructions, use the polishing compounds that come with it and you will get a beautiful finish...

Well, I DID say I sanded, mic-meshed, and polished it. :tongue:

I did everything as shown in this video, but I drilled slower, took lighter cuts, and wet-sanded from the start of the sanding process.
M3 Metal Pen Blanks at Penn State Industries - YouTube

When I drilled I took a long time to so do because I figured if they warn to keep heat down when sanding I should also do so when drilling.

Also, to be mindful of heat, I removed MUCH less material when turning the blank than I ever have with wood or anything else. It was clear there were cracks in the blank as I turned it.

As a matter of fact, I sent a picture of the blank/kit combo to the wife and you can see some of the cracks in the raw blank. The small lines that look black are some of the spots I saw on this side of the blank. The other sides had more.
10362574_4374100647968_7529695825385671535_n.jpg

When I sanded with sandpaper I even wet-sanded the blanks (to cool as well as keep dust under control) and also wet-sanded with the MM.

I don't know. Maybe I should've waited and returned the thing when I noticed those small spots. I'll be in the area today so I'll take a look at the rest of the blanks and see if any of them have the same issue. I really like the blank.

Last edited:

OZturner

Appreciate all the concern you have and the effort and care you put in, Jason.
From what I can see from the Photographs,
The result is Fantastic,
The blank is Perfect and to Die For, and the Majestic was just the Pen for it.
Superb Fit and Finish.
Love it.
Brian.

jyreene

Contact M3. I had one blank that had cracks all the way and they replaced it. Of course I then dropped that blank and cracked it myself. But they gave me a good deal on my own mistake after getting me a new one for what was probably a shipping mistake.

I've also found the joining if component to blank with M3 will make any cracks worse no matter how careful you are. Even if you can't see them.

Top Bottom