Majestic Jr. for Mom. Wood I.D. Please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sefali

sefali

This is, by far, my best work to date. It's a Majestic Jr. in rhodium and black ti. The finish is 8 or 10 coats of BLO/CA. It was a big jump for me, as it's the first kit I've done that cost more than $10. Between the kit cost, and its intended recipient, I was extremely careful with this one. I am very pleased with the results, and more important, so was my mom. My photography is getting better, but I still can't do the pen justice.

My problem is, I don't know what the wood is! I for got to take a pic of the blank before I cut it up, so I got one of what was left. I'm hoping somebody recognizes it.

Thanks for looking. All comments and critiques are welcome.
Sef

SNV32879.jpg

SNV32884.jpg

SNV32885.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Let me take a stab.

I have some curly afzalia that looks striking like that in color and texture. Your blank is obviously straight grained, but the depth of the grain and color make me think of afzalia.

Dennis

Then again, after looking at the end grain it sure does look like Honduran Rosewood.

sefali

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the Jatoba so far. I found a pic that looks a lot like what the whole blank looked like. Blanks 2, 4, and 5 are very close. They are listed on ebay as jatoba.
blanks.jpg

If it helps, the wood is extremely hard, and was the easiest sanding wood I've worked with. I did final shaping with 150 grit, and was able to keep the lathe off, and just sand with the grain for the rest up to 600.

paprgypc

Looks like Brazilian Cherry

This certainly looks like brazilian cherry. I just received wood that looked exactly like your larger strips. Very dense wood and heavy. It does turn a red tint with aging.

Very classy pen.

Looks like you have enough Jatoba now, but if you need more I have some that I will be putting online

Jim .

sefali

Jim,
I wish those were mine, but that's just a pic I found after some suggested my blank might be jatoba. I'll keep an eye out for yours.

Ligget,
Considering the quality of your own work, a compliment from you is a high point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom