Majestic Jr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Matt8643

Matt8643

This is a Majestic Jr in Tru stone I turned over the last two days. I started yesterday but there were two hairline cracks in the cap. So I re-turned the cap today and although it is much better; I can still see a small hairline crack in the cap. I have been having really bad luck with tru stone so far. I've had problems with pitting in anything with black matrix and then this white stone cracking on me multiple times. Maybe I'm being too rough with the tru stone? Well, hopefully I'll have better luck when my Woodchuck pen pro gets here!

Thanks for looking.
~Matt

Attachments

• IMG_1951.JPG
    IMG_1951.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1956.JPG
    IMG_1956.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 142
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Weather you have better luck with a carbide cutter or not is just a technique thing. You can turn the truestone with a skew just as easy. But the problem may sometimes come with the material used. Some truestone will crack on the grain lines for a lack of a better term. This can not be avoided. But if the cracks are developing in the white portion then you need to look at the fit of the kit and look for glue residue or burrs when assembling. The majestic and the jr have plenty of meat left after turned. It is a pretty forgiving kit.

Matt8643

You know John, I always finish with the skew. And I didn't have problems with the body (which defintiely had a lot of meat left) but I agree with you; it seemed there was still enough left on the cap also. And FYI, the cracks were developing in the white portions while still on the lathe. The crack starts right at the edge of the blank where it meets the bushing (and where it is at its thinnest). So I think its me or the brittleness of the blank. Being that I'm still very new to all this I'll assume its me.

ToddMR

The pen looks good. Sorry to hear about the crack issues. I didn't turn tru-stone until getting my woodchuck. I have not yet tried the white though.

jaeger

Matt,
It will be hard to check now, but if you were not flush with the brass tubes when you trimmed out the blanks could be another reason for your problem.

Finatic

FWIW, I have had the same problem with the blanks cracking at the ends right about the end of the turning. I have found two things with my blanks. One, I tend to stay agressive when contacting the blank with the skew and two, upon gluing the tube into the blank, I have noticed a hair thick space at one end. That space appears to not get any glue. I think this is caused by the drill somehow. One end of the blank is tight and the other just a hair of a space. I now cut by blanks a little longer and I use Devcon 2 ton epoxy for glue up and give the blank an overnight cure. I think I may have solved my problem, and I hope I have helped you in yours.

Top Bottom