Majestic Jeff Powell Pinecone Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wiset1

wiset1

Finished this pen tonight with the help from artist Jeff Powell over on exotics who was kind enough to cast this pinecone blank and offer it up for sale. It takes a little work to turn these and fill the minor voids, but well worth the effort when finished.

Majestic Pen kit, 2 coats of thin CA, and 8 coats of medium CA. I really love the effects the cone/resin mix gives. My son still says it looks like dragon scales on the pen...he's almost 6:biggrin:

5411617792_a5f11db648_z.jpg

Larger images on my flickr site:)

greggas

Tim;

I that really is a cool looking pen. The blank is awesome and really works well with the kit you chose...nice job!

wiset1

Everyone should turn at least one of Jeff's pinecone blanks...truly a unique blank. He offers a couple different color options and after turning two of them I think it's safe to say that ALL of his blanks would look awesome on just about ANY kit. Thanks for the feedback!

wiset1

Thanks Toni, getting better at the pen photography. I have a Nikon D300 and it seems to do the trick for my current needs.

keithkarl2007

My girlfriend says:
Spitze. Sieht sehr elegant aus. Gut gemacht!! Meine bessere Haelfte haelt sehr von Hans Weissflog und zerbricht sich momentan den Kopf, wie er einige seiner halb rund,halb quadratischen Boxen drechselt.

wiset1

My girlfriend says:
Spitze. Sieht sehr elegant aus. Gut gemacht!! Meine bessere Haelfte haelt sehr von Hans Weissflog und zerbricht sich momentan den Kopf, wie er einige seiner halb rund,halb quadratischen Boxen drechselt.

I'll have to babelfish that! U.S. Soldier...still learning to speak German:biggrin:

wiset1

Oops :biggrin::biggrin:

My girlfriend says:

I'll have to babelfish that! U.S. Soldier...still learning to speak German:biggrin:

Babelfish did some crazy stuff...what I could figure out was nice...so "tell her I said "Thank you". I'll ask my wife to translate in the am since she's in bed already...almost 11pm here in Germany.:eek:

warreng8170

Is there any HDR post-processing on that photo? If not, you did a great job of capturing both highlights and shadows. Either way both the pen and photo are stunning. Great job.

wiset1

Is there any HDR post-processing on that photo? If not, you did a great job of capturing both highlights and shadows. Either way both the pen and photo are stunning. Great job.

Yes, there sure is! I shoot in RAW mode and adjust the dynamic range a bit in CS5 to adjust for poor lighting and the difficult to view areas of the pen. Photoshop is my thing if you've seen my Flickr site so I try to adjust my photos to how I see things in person without blowing the picture out and overdoing it. Hope that helps in some way...?

PenPal

Tim,
Run out of superlatives.

Since everything I say I mean please accept my congratulations in the manner you have turned and assembled this pen, Jeff the maker of the cast you are magnificent as well.

Choice of kit displaying the pen as you have the photograph is incredible giving it a place in the archives of good taste and perfection.

Some hard act to follow, just as I think that up you pop with another one.

Stay safe and enjoy your craft as the craftsman you have become.

Kind regards Peter.

wiset1

Tim,
Run out of superlatives.

Since everything I say I mean please accept my congratulations in the manner you have turned and assembled this pen, Jeff the maker of the cast you are magnificent as well.

Choice of kit displaying the pen as you have the photograph is incredible giving it a place in the archives of good taste and perfection.

Some hard act to follow, just as I think that up you pop with another one.

Stay safe and enjoy your craft as the craftsman you have become.

Kind regards Peter.

Thank you Peter!

You always have kind words that fill the soul with joy and it's appreciated, so thank you. Truth be told, the IAP members have pushed the bar so I always try to reach that level when I start any pen. Working on blanks from artists like Curtis and Jeff make it easy as a turner to look good in the forums, but the true artists are those who cast these works of art. I'm just showing off their creation with a hint of my vision.

wiset1

Again, Thank you everyone for the feedback!

Credit should go to Jeff for these amazing blanks, they truly look out of this world when spun and polished. I can't say it enough...I'm so amazed by the work others do on the IAP, Exotics, Curtis, Eugene, and other like them who make it possible for average Joe's like me to turn these creations.

Thanks everyone!

wiset1

It's sweet, but if I could make someone else happy with it I would be able to part with it. At some point I think my wife is going to kill me over the space I'm taking up with all these finished pens, and the talk of what I want to make next, ha ha ha.

David Keller

This is one of the nicer pens I recall seeing! It's a lovely blank, but the finish and photography are just as impressive. Well done!

wiset1

I really want to thank everyone for the feedback! I drove me to make the other pen I just posted. "Casein, Blackwood, Buckeye, Redwood...MIX "

diver123

Great looking pen. My questions is which blank of Jeffs is it?? Flame? Special order?? Because whichever one it is I WANT! Thank you for contributing to my cash out flow.

Top Bottom