Majestic Gemsbok

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's Gemsbok horn on a Rhodium and 22k Gold Plated Majestic Rollerball. The Gemsbok Horn was a generous gift from Terry Finney aka terryf. Followed the turning and finishing techniques per Terry. After the first 5 to 10 mm off the surface, the horn started to turn almost like an acrylic. Sanded slowly from 150 to 600 grit, MM (wet) from 1200 to 12000 grit, followed by HUT Plastic Polish. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for just looking. Doc

Terry, Thank you for the Gemsbok Horn, turning and finishing tips! Regards, Doc

Attachments

• Gemsbok Majestic_2.jpg
    Gemsbok Majestic_2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 292
  • Gemsbok Majestic_1.jpg
    Gemsbok Majestic_1.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 146
  • Gemsbok Majestic.jpg
    Gemsbok Majestic.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wizard

Doc that is a beautiful pen! I have a question, how bad did it smell when turning? Thanks for showing.

Russell,
Really bad !!! Got pretty nauseated. The odor went through a Triton Respirator which I guess doesn't have a carbon filter. Drilling it required a break and go outside the garage between the two pieces. Turning it wasn't as bad. I had a lathe hood which seemed to help. I sanded very slowly to keep it from overheating and the smell to a minimum. Regards, Doc

ToddMR

Very elegant for sure. Never heard of the animal before, but I thought it might look like an antelope. I had to Google it lol. Your pen looks so classy with that jet black horn.

wiset1

Now that's a beauty! Terry was kind enough to send me some as well, but truth be told it's a new material that I wanted to do something special with. Now that I see yours it may very well be enough to just turn it. Awesome turn!

Beautiful pen.
FYI: In 1969 the New Mexico State Department of Game and Fish decided to introduce Gemsbok to the Tularosa Basin, more specifically, the White Sands Missile Range. This introduction was a compromise between those who wanted to preserve nature and those who wanted to use it for recreation and hunting. From 1969 to 1977, 93 gemsbok were released. The current population is estimated to be between 3,000 and 6,000 animals. One major reason the gemsbok have thrived is the lack of natural predators.

srf1114

With all the beautiful colorful pens out there is sure is awesome to see something that sweet in a simple black and silver color scheme.

Some times simple and elegant makes for the nicest art.

wizard

Thank you all for the kind comments and feedback. For those interested,
attached is a picture of a Gemsbok courtesy of Terry Finney. Doc

wizard

Like Roy said, very classy. Better yet you photographed it on white too! :biggrin:

Mike, Thank you. I'm starting to like photographing on white because you can see the fit, finish and fittings themselves better. The black background has it's place but with this particular pen on black....all you would see is the kit:rolleyes:. Regards, Doc

PenPal

Doc,

Exquisite turning of a classy product provided by Terry all the way from Pretoria resulting in you now having that essential black number in your expanding collection.

The contrast is outstanding with black and bright Rhodium, the gold banding richly compliments the exclusive appearance capped off with the gold.

I agree with the white background starkly proving that quality. Was tempted to use the word Arsenal of pens.

Commendable subtle curves shaping gradually from end to end on each part.

Excellence in making, display and humility all to be aspired to by us all.

Kind regards mate. Peter.

Top Bottom