Majestic Fountain with Marla's Watch Parts- White

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from tgsean

tgsean

G'day Folks,

I made this Majestic fountain pen, which is a Watch Parts Pen made by Marla. I really like her work. This is an exceptional color, and I really liked working with it. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they had any views on how the clip should be placed? I placed it opposite to the clock face. What is the general consensus on this? C & C welcome as always

Cheers,
Sean

Attachments

• Watch Parts White Majestic 1.jpg
    Watch Parts White Majestic 1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Watch Parts White Majestic 2.jpg
    Watch Parts White Majestic 2.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Watch Parts White Majestic 3.jpg
    Watch Parts White Majestic 3.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Watch Parts White Majestic 4.jpg
    Watch Parts White Majestic 4.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Watch Parts White Majestic 5.jpg
    Watch Parts White Majestic 5.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
G'day Folks,

I made this Majestic fountain pen, which is a Watch Parts Pen made by Marla. I really like her work. This is an exceptional color, and I really liked working with it.
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they had any views on how the clip should be placed?
My preference would be slightly to the right (facing down) to the watch face!
attachment.php

Attachments

• 826, 827, 828.JPG
    826, 827, 828.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 273

Katya

Hmmm... Mack has a point. But I think that both positions work well.
Marla's blanks are always incredible! I want to try out one with the pansies embedded. She's got some great colour combinations.

jttheclockman

If it is a capped pen such as this then directly behind it would be the most prominent place for it for symmetry. To me there are various concepts of the watch pen. You have ones such as this that use one clock face, then you have others that use more than one clock face and then you try to place the clip between them.

Now with a one piece blank such as what Mac has shown becomes a different story and the choice is tougher and comes down to a matter of choice. When you write with a capped pen you take the cap off so the clip is not in the way when writing. But with a one piece pen the clip gets in the way for comfort when writing and normally you spin it one way or the other. You don't spin it directly behind because it will lay on your hand and cause discomfort. Now maybe you want the face to show when you are writing. Then it may come down to weather you are a left or righty. If righty then you spin the pen as what Mack shows and the face is shown. If a lefty you would want the clip on the opposite side of the clock face so that the face is showing. How is that for breaking it down and being real.

Good job by all parties.

Last edited:

magpens

G'day Sean,

That is one lovely pen !

I have made a few pens with Marla's watch part blanks. For a capped pen I place the clip as you did .... directly behind the watch face.

For a single barrel pen, I place the clip at 90 degrees to the watch face, as Mack has shown. I think this postion allows the pen to be shown off to best advantage when standing in a display stand. For writing you then have the righty/lefty issue as John points out.

Last edited:

Crickett

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they had any views on how the clip should be placed?

I always put the clip opposite the face to keep both sides of the pen interesting. Although I like where Mack put the clip, for us lefties we wouldn't be able to see the watch face when we're writing with the pen without having the clip interfere with our hand.

Sorry, forgot to answer your question in the email.

Charlie_W

Awesome looking pen! It goes great with those Componets too!
I go for the clip behind unless someone would ask and then it could be made to suit.

tgsean

Thanks everyone for the feedback, and the answer to the question. It surely makes sense. I will be putting up some other colors of this in the days to come. Cheers Sean

Top Bottom