Majestic: Elk Antler (Contest Entry)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pitoon

Pitoon

Here's my entry for the Antler/Horn contest. I thought it came out very nice. Too bad i didn't come in the top three. Maybe next year?

C&C welcomed! Thanks for looking!

Pitoon

109842d1392691869-vote-best-antler-horn-bone-pen-7a.jpg

109843d1392691869-vote-best-antler-horn-bone-pen-7b.jpg

109844d1392691869-vote-best-antler-horn-bone-pen-7c.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pitoon

Very Caerfully! :biggrin:

I did more hand filing and shaping at the belt sander than I did turning on the lathe.

I can imagine that piece turning on the lathe...one mistake and you could easily have a broken finger or worse. Congrats on getting that one completed!

Pitoon

eranox

Another nice entry. I've noticed that with this pen and your abalone pen, the first picture of each makes the barrels look slightly concave. Only in the other pictures can I tell that the barrels are straight. Does anybody else notice that effect, or am I imagining it? At any rate, both pens are knockouts.

Ambidex

Both were beauties Pitoon..the abalone was amazing and I wondered if the voting was off because they didn't read your post of how it was made and assumed it was a pre-made blank? I was shocked it didn't finish better..and as far as your antbonehorn entry...I knew I was in trouble when I saw your elk pen...and then the entries kept coming that made me reconsider why I entered mine. fossilized whalebone...the first and definitely last time I'll try that stuff..:rolleyes:

Edward Cypher

Yes I see it now.

I don't think I saw it at first but yes in the first pic it does look concave but the others do not.

Another nice entry. I've noticed that with this pen and your abalone pen, the first picture of each makes the barrels look slightly concave. Only in the other pictures can I tell that the barrels are straight. Does anybody else notice that effect, or am I imagining it? At any rate, both pens are knockouts.

Pitoon

No, you are correct. For some reason i think it's my lens and the way i am snapping the pic. Each pic is taken on tripod, but at different angles and distances, so this may be the cause.

Something i have to work out on future pics, good eye though!

Pitoon

Pitoon

I don't think I saw it at first but yes in the first pic it does look concave but the others do not.

Beautiful pen, Pitoon,
Spectacular Blank, Fit and Finish.
Congratulations.
Brian.

Thanks Brian! Still looking forward in seeing your work come to life!

Pitoon

Marko50

Very nice pen Pitoon. The antler has some very unique coloring characteristics to it. Is it North American Elk antler or European?

Mason Kuettel

That's a great looking pen. I love working with elk antler, it sells well for me too! As for the "concave" look, could it be the solid white on the sides next to the solid white background? I noticed it and that was all I could come up with.

Pitoon

Very nice pen Pitoon. The antler has some very unique coloring characteristics to it. Is it North American Elk antler or European?

I bought several pieces of stag more than 10years ago back in the states (i've been living in Europe since 1997). I have no clue from where in the states the stag came from though. very pretty stuff for sure!

Pitoon

Pitoon

That's a great looking pen. I love working with elk antler, it sells well for me too! As for the "concave" look, could it be the solid white on the sides next to the solid white background? I noticed it and that was all I could come up with.

it could be a possibility. i will try something different for the next set of pics.

Pitoon

Top Bottom