Majestic Banksia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ladycop322

ladycop322

Good morning!

I made this last night, however, it was my first time turning Banksia and found it a little intermediate for me, new to turning :)

The top blank had to be trimmed because I damaged the tubes so the hardware by the clip is not flush. That was my first problem...

Next, I think I rushed when sanding and then doing the CA finish for the first time....I love the look of the CA finish instead of dipping in a polish, but I was anxious and did not take my time.

Anyway, for the first ever Banksia, I think it looks ok...I would never sell it, I will keep for myself.....

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend :)

Attachments

• 20140523_211258.jpg
    20140523_211258.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 342
  • 20140523_211339.jpg
    20140523_211339.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 336
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

It IS a beautiful pen. I've got a drawerful of "not quite good enoughs, but too nice to throw out."
From what I've seen of your work, I would definitely consider you an intermediate turner. You've done quite a bit of variety and all look to be very well done with attention to detail. Keep up the good work!

Since it is a fountain pen you can pop the top (clip end) off and just cut or sand it down to the wood. A fountain blank can be a little shorter and still work a rollerball can't. Just learn from everyone you do and each one will get a little better.

Mike

Dalepenkala

I agree with the others Michelle. Way to beautiful of wood not to mention the majestic kit. It is a fairly expensive kit.
I've done the same thing with some of my pens to get the fit just the way I want it. You can disassemble and just tweak thinks a little and you will have a pen you can sell for a couple of hundred bucks. Even if you need to refinish it, it will be worth it.
Good luck!

robutacion

Good morning!

I made this last night, however, it was my first time turning Banksia and found it a little intermediate for me, new to turning :)

The top blank had to be trimmed because I damaged the tubes so the hardware by the clip is not flush. That was my first problem...

Next, I think I rushed when sanding and then doing the CA finish for the first time....I love the look of the CA finish instead of dipping in a polish, but I was anxious and did not take my time.

Anyway, for the first ever Banksia, I think it looks ok...I would never sell it, I will keep for myself.....

Have a great Memorial Day Weekend :)

Hi Michelle,

I knew that you were a little scared to handle those blanks and while you seem to have done exactly the contrary as I suggest as the approach to its handling, you still manage to make a pen out of it, that alone says that you had to do a lot of things right to get to that point so, congrats on that...!

While we are normally, our worst critics, I agree with the sentiment of many here, the kit is far too expensive, for the pen to be a second grade pen.

And for God sake, trying your first go with the CA finish on that blank, is nothing more than madness or extreme bravery...!:eek::biggrin:

OK so, you are a risk taker sort of "gal", you dodged the bullet on that one, I'm telling you, I've seen lots of people with a lot more pen turning experience than you, not managing to get anything left from the blank that they could press as a pen so, your attempt is quite good, indeed.

Re-do it, if you think is the best thing to do and you are up to the task otherwise, remove the barrels, keep them as reference, get another 2 tubes and use another of the few blanks you still have left, $10 isn't something that will make you broke, the experience alone is worth more than that, huh...??? :wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom