Maidou Burl Havana with Iron Pyrite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkirkb94

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkirkb94

Just turned this. It had an unexpected void in the wood so I added some Fool's gold (iron pyrite) which is embedded in a window of medium CA. Thanks Bill for the instructions. Putting the Fool's gold in a window worked better. The wood is Maidou Burl. Thanks David. Kirk[8D]

idou%20burl%20havana%20with%20fools%20gold%20inlay.jpg

The other side of the pen.

u%20burl%20havana%20with%20fools%20gold%20inlay001.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkirkb94

The void went all the way down to the tube. I added enough pyrite to fill the void half way. Added some medium CA, let it settle, then sprayed with activator. Had to add some more CA then activator. Sanded to MM 8000. Initially tried to add the pyrite before blank was turned all the way down but ended up knocking it out. Turned it all the way down then used the above technique with a skew to just shave off the CA before sanding. I may try the window trick on some of the other inlays that I have. Kirk[8D]

PenWorks

Very nice looking pen Kirk, good job with the inlay., You guys come up with more wood I never even heard about. Looks like a nice light brown with redish tint to the burl. Anthony

jkirkb94

Anthony, you want to see woods you never knew existed? Do like I did and go to David's or Bill's sites[:D] Here is a batch of blanks that I got from a guy in Hawaii who, sadly, quit his business. Too bad since I would like to reorder from him. His wood was very inexpensive...most were under $1-2![:(] Kirk[8D]

200412294424_hawaii%20wood%20blanks004.jpg
<br />

jkirkb94

Thanks for the comments. I have other burls that I am going to have to try. They look so much better after finishing than they do as blanks! It's always a thrill to see how they will turn out. Kirk[8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom