Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ctEaglesc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I had an order from a repeat customer.
Wart hog casing pens with 338 18 karat GOLD plated casings.

612220273_magnificent%207wart%20hog%20122006%20006.jpg

Last year he wanted 3, this year he shot more wart hogs in Africa.

202751_magnificent%20%207wart%20hog%20122006%20001.jpg

They also requested pen boxes.Zebra wood with copper veined 30-06 "drawer pulls"

122202957_magnificent%207wart%20hog%20122006%20004.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DaveO

As usual Eagle, I'm in awe. The pens look flawless and the boxes are a really nice design. I would love a little more info on how you made them. I am assuming "bandsaw box" style, but where did you enter and how did you hide the kerf so well.
Great job!!!

Dave[:)]

Fangar

I know you busted your arse on those. Great work and I really like the pen boxes again. The pulls are really a nice touch. I know you have told me how tough that tusk is to turn, so I know how much work went into these. I would imagine that he will be back for more next year too!

Cheers,

Fangar

jeffj13

Eagle,

I'm not a big fan of shell casing pens, but these are outstanding. I also like the boxes. Could we perhaps see the inside of one?

Nice touch on the drawer pulls.

jeff

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Fangar
<br />I know you busted your arse on those. Great work and I really like the pen boxes again. The pulls are really a nice touch. I know you have told me how tough that tusk is to turn, so I know how much work went into these. I would imagine that he will be back for more next year too!

Cheers,

Fangar
It takes about 3-4 times longer to turn the tusk.I am constantly sharpening my chisels.Like I Said earlier.that stuff is HARD!

Originally posted by chigdon
<br />Wow, I love the matching boxes too!
Actually they don't "match". I purposely didn't want them to look as if they were cookie cutter "stamped" Each one has its' own flaws and is different.
Originally posted by DaveO
<br />As usual Eagle, I'm in awe. The pens look flawless and the boxes are a really nice design. I would love a little more info on how you made them. I am assuming "bandsaw box" style, but where did you enter and how did you hide the kerf so well.
Great job!!!

Dave[:)]
I came up with this idea last year.The jeweler who got me the sale requested I make the boxes as I am not happy with off shore pen boxes.For certain customers I make my own.I suggested Zebra wood but after I got pieces big enough for boxes I was cautioned it doesn't machine well.I normally make a clam shell type of box.I had never made a band saw box before then but I had committed to make the boxes so I did a little research and came up with this design.Other than the radius cuts they are pretty simple to make.
Ironically I found out this year that it isn't too bad to rout out the cavity to hold the pen.No tear out whatsoever.
AS you look at the box the entry cut is made in the upper right corner,The hardest part is ripping a relatively straight line and the radius cuts.
I have always been fascinated by band saw boxes but other than making this style for pens I don't think it is something I want to pursue.Making pens and blanks is more interesting.
Originally posted by jeffj13
<br />Eagle,

I'm not a big fan of shell casing pens, but these are outstanding. I also like the boxes. Could we perhas see the inside of one?

Nice touch on the drawer pulls.

jeff
Thanks Jeff
I was in a rush and delivered them yesterday.I didn't have time to take more than the few picures I did take.
If you look in my album in the casing pens section you can see what I made last year.
Those were sanded out with a Dremel tool but these were done with a router.

Originally posted by Penmonkey
<br />Very nice pens. I never thought of useing 338's but the belt on them looks good.

The 338 is a nice fit for a PArker style pen.
That is the beauty of using a wood core.I am not limited to any kit or casing size.The wood core gives me flexibility and makes for a nice solid pen.It is the same method I use on my 30-06's that I have for sale.

DocStram

I wouldn't call those differences in the pens "flaws". Character is a better description. Each has its own "character". The pens are certainly special, but the bandsaw boxes are exquisite.
Where did you get the warthog tusks?

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by DocStram
<br />I wouldn't call those differences in the pens "flaws". Character is a better description. Each has its own "character". The pens are certainly special, but the bandsaw boxes are exquisite.
Where did you get the warthog tusks?
The customer goes to Africa "on safari" these are tusks for wart hogs he shot himself.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by BigRob777
<br />Eagle,
Me likes. What did you back the boxes with? I like the idea of the knobs too.
Rob
Not sure what you mean by"back the boxes.
I started with a block of zebra wood.
I ripped a piece off one side which would become the back.
I cut out the drawer and glued the "back" back on after gluuing the kerf from the cut out.
Routed the cavity for the pen.
Finished the piece.
Done.
That's the step by step tutorial.

BigRob777

Eagle,
I see, band saw cut. Nice work. I can't see any cut lines. Then again, you're the man, when it comes to glue-ups. You did understand what I meant about the backs.
Rob

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by sandking
<br />Eagle,

What do you mean by glueing the kerf from the cut out?
After the back is cut off but before you glueit back on you need to cut out the drawer.
Since a bandsaw cannot make a plunge cut you start cutting the drawer out from an end of the block.After you cut the drawer out the resulting KERF" is a perfect gglue match.
Glue it back together.
I am not a bansaw box expert.I am sure there are plenty here who can explain it better or you might try googling up a search on bansaw boxes that can explain it (maybe with pictures) better than I can.
I juust drew it ut on graph paper and figured it out.

sandking

Thanks Eagle, I see now (although I can't even tell from you picture, nice work!!!!).

The kerf is very thin and I guess when you glue it back together and clamp the draw doesn't get stuck on that side b/c there is a kerf gap from cutting out the draw, correct?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very nice, Eagle. Good to see some of your work again.
Quite a safari theme too, One Eagle, One Warthog, One Zebra and One Bullet!!! Good shooting[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom