magic wand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from asyler

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
prototype of a capped 'wand' ,, how can i keep the dark off the lighter ends? thanks

Attachments

• WAND1.jpg
    WAND1.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 307
  • WAND2.jpg
    WAND2.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 286
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

how can i keep the dark off the lighter ends? thanks
Have you tried "Abra Cadabra"?:wink:

Seriously though, when I do a segment with light & dark woods, 1st I sand the light wood only. When that looks about right, then I sand the dark wood trying very hard not to re-sand any of the lighter wood. Also, very light pressure.

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
thanks..
james, that's where a finished one will go,, he's have knee replacement thursday,,

MSGMP

I have segmented light and dark woods many times and use a blow gun attachment on my air hose between sanding grits to blow as much of the dust as I can from the blank. Then I use denatured alcohol after the final grit, going from the light wood to the dark as I wipe it down.

glycerine

I use denatured alcohol to clean after I sand. I use a toothbrush to really make sure I get all of the dust out of the grain. I will also usually go ahead and put a few coats of thin CA on when I'm close to final size. It will fill the voids of the grain in the lighter wood and keep the sanding dust from penetrating...

kludge77

I sand from the light wood towards the dark wood. That way, I'm not carrying dark dust onto the light wood. Also, I wipe down afterwards with CA accelerator.

I hope that helps,
Eric

+1 that is my method as well. Works pretty well and it's easy. I love easy...

Top Bottom