Madrone Slimline - my "first" pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darcisowers

darcisowers

Since in my intro I was told that the first pen I made (we called it the hook-line-sinker) was TOO COOL to post as my first pen, I am following up with my first SOLO made pen. :cool:
madrone_slim.jpg

I'm happy with this pen in general, but there are "issues" that I need to work out on the next one:

1) need to learn how to size below the bushings, so when I put on my CA finish, it isn't proud.

2) something is going on in the CA finish where there are dull spots (right in the center of the photo, and another closer to the nib.) Did I sand thru (I can't imagine that I did...but maybe)? or possibly the CA didn't "stick" to the wood (did I touch it?) in a few places? ??? Will probably try to finish again, when I'm not as frustrated with it (and after I get the disassembly tools).

3) How do I do the CA without it sticking to the Delrin bushings, which causes the edges break off when I trim? I reapplied twice (sanding all the way back to wood and starting over), but it did this BOTH times. ugh.

4) yep, I need to be more serious with photography; but right now I'm more interested in working on the pens, so I have quick and dirty photos! :tongue:

Thanks,
Darci

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Seipp

I appreciate your work, nice job. When I use CA I begin with linceed oil. I then apply the CA and buff with a clean lint free cloth. I conitnue alternating the two product applications with a light sanding with 1200 grit micro mesh. I have had pretty good luck that way. Not saying this is the answer, but it has been working for me.

Keep up the good work. We all had to begin taking those first steps. I'm not all that far along myself... Good luck!

Dale

randyrls

1) need to learn how to size below the bushings, so when I put on my CA finish, it isn't proud.

Darci; Use el cheapo HF digital calipers rather than depending on the bushings. These go on sale from time to time for $10.00 and work well.

Tip: Set the calipers on the pen fitting and press the "Zero" button. Now the calipers will measure how much you have to take off the blank.

2) something is going on in the CA finish where there are dull spots (right in the center of the photo, and another closer to the nib.) Did I sand thru (I can't imagine that I did...but maybe)? or possibly the CA didn't "stick" to the wood (did I touch it?) in a few places? ??? Will probably try to finish again, when I'm not as frustrated with it (and after I get the disassembly tools).

I have that happen too! I've found the coating isn't nearly as thick as you believe it to be. Take a look at this video by William O Young.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orcgOf4siqc
After I apply the CA, I just polish the finish, I don't sand.

3) How do I do the CA without it sticking to the Delrin bushings,

The video shows how to prevent the bushings from sticking.

Top Bottom