Madrone burl / bloodwood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darbytee

Status
Not open for further replies.

darbytee

These are a couple of madrone burl/bloodwood pens that I turned. I'm experimenting with some different woods and I have decided that I love the madrone. This was a block that I bought locally, cut into blanks, and stabilized. Both pens were sanded to 1200, EEE waxed, CA/BLO then Myland's friction polish. Also, I realize that my photography is pretty poor right now, but I'm in the process of packing to move and would be visiting a divorce lawyer if I told my wife I was setting up a photo set for my pens in the midst of all of this. Thanks for looking.

Image Insert:
200491918445_madrone.jpg

80.58KB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

darbytee

Bev, I know it is native to the Pacific Northwest and to Canada, but not much else. I have one dealer who sells it locally. I bought this burl out of a grab box for $5 a pound.

Scott

Like Fred says, Madrone is from the Pacific Northwest. In Canada it is Arbutus. It's a bit unstable as it dries, but it is a beautiful wood. It is great stuff!

BTW - great pens, Fred! ;-)

Scott.

ilikewood

Fred, really nice pens...love the bloodwood centerband.

They are right....madrone is a costal pacific northwest tree. It has large very green oval leaves and a very thin reddish bark that tends to peal off. I used to love to get it for burning in my wood stove. The loggers did not like it, so they left huge piles of it to burn for us scroungers. Like Scott says, it will check at an unbelievable rate when it dries. It's a very beautiful wood though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom